Wellness

Healthy Coping Mechanisms for End of Semester Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

2020 has been the craziest year for a lot of people, especially college students. With classes mostly online, lack of ability to socialize with fellow classmates, and inability to attend social events trying to find healthy outlets for college stress can be a challenge. As a now senior psychology, biology double major I have accumulated several coping strategies that will help anyone survive school-related stressors. These techniques may be new or unorthodox to some, but it has really helped me keep a level head when assignments pile.

Meditate 5 minutes a day

Mediation has been a great way for me to allow my anxiety and stress to take a backseat. I usually sit crisscrossed with my back against a wall and allow my brain to go blank. I picture a blank white screen in my head and completely empty my mind with thoughts. This gives time to allow the mind to wake up in the morning and to fuel my body for the school day. I always felt that I was in better control of my emotions and how I handle stress throughout the day if I meditated the morning of. I found that guided meditation can also be helpful if you have trouble sitting still for 5 minutes or have trouble with leaving the mind blank of thought.

Play lofi music while studying hard topics or doing a large amount of work

Lofi music is non-lyrical music that contains origins and influences from Boom-Bap/ New York Underground instrumentals. Spotify, Youtube, and other music streaming apps have this type of music on repeat. I find it easier to focus with music and it puts me in a more productive mood.

Study/work outside as much as possible

Ohio weather around this time is unpredictable. Whenever I can get a chance to enjoy some Vitamin D, listen to music, set a blanket down near water or a park, I will. I spend a lot of time outside because I find nature calming and there is always something to admire in nature that can be used as my brain break. To me, being in nature is meditative and it keeps me focused on my tasks.

No to all-nighters

The latest I have ever stayed up for school work is 2 am and even then I felt there was not much of a difference in my understanding. It is a hallmark in a college student’s life that they must pull all-nighters and drink caffeine like its water in order to do well in school. The real key to success is a balanced diet, 7-8 hours of sleep, and a time managed study schedule. Sleep is a time for the brain to recharge and be ready for the next day, information cannot be retained if the body did not get adequate rest. I have learned that I try the most difficult subjects before I go to bed because then it will be the more synthesized information. 

Study in small groups that have similar interests or goals as you

As a senior, I now have a group of students from all my classes that I study with, especially for STEM classes where student collaboration is needed.  Working with students that are goal-driven or interested in what you’re interested in can create a community of people who can work together to solve problems and not feel as stressed doing a hard problem on your own. I would not have passed organic chemistry if it was not for studying with fellow students who could fill in the gaps or solve questions that the teacher was not immediately there to answer. Obviously with COVID-19 regulations that can be difficult but I learned that small groups of 3-4 people are the best groups to study with. 

Drink water with lemon, not caffiene

This might be a controversial topic but I have tried both and I never have crashed on water and lemon. Caffeine is a stimulant, which means that it raises physiological levels in the body which means it can make you feel like you can do a lot in a short amount of time but every substance that has an increase in the body must have a reverse response. Coming off of caffeine has a withdrawal effect which is usually the opposite effect of how you feel on it, such as irritability and extreme tiredness. As a college student, I do not have time to go through caffeine withdrawals but I found that water with a couple of lemon slices is ideal to brighten your mood. Whenever I feel tired I chug water or I give my brain a break by going to the water fountain to refill. Also, water with lemon has been found to be healthier than an iced coffee with cream and sugar due to lemon water’s characteristics of being known as a good source of Vitamin C and digestive aid. 

After four years of college, I have learned that although school is important how you handle stress is more important because the damaging effects of stress can impact your health for a lifetime. Self-care is a real concept and I am thankful that our generation has decided that putting your health first is important and worth discussing. Hopefully, these stress coping mechanisms will alleviate stress in an area of your life.

Isabella Futchi

Youngstown '21

Youngstown State University Psychology/Biology Senior with a background in Journalism. Enjoys exercising, reading and watching YouTube.