This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

As winter break rapidly approaches, we’re all in various stages of preparing to head home for the holidays.  To different extents, we’re weary and ready to reconnect to our roots.  Spending Thanksgiving and Christmas with our loved ones can instantly make life better.  I hate to be a party pooper, but don’t forget that we’re still in the middle of a global pandemic.  Before you plan your celebrations, it’s important to talk to your family to assess everyone’s health and emotions regarding this year’s festivities.

Unknowns are scary.  We all know by now that COVID-19 is an unseen and unpredictable virus.  Social distancing can be uncomfy.  It’s hard to stay away from loved ones while we’re genuinely concerned about them.  I get it – I’m a hugger and I really miss my grandparents too.  The CDC recommends several risk reducers for those hosting in-person gatherings: thoughtfully consider the location, duration, and population.  Evaluate where your attendees are traveling from.  Consider getting tested before and after your celebrations. 

No one wants to have Thanksgiving over Zoom.  However, everyone needs to be smart and safe this holiday season.  Know that every emotion you’re feeling is completely normal and valid.  During these frustrating and exhausting times, it’s crucial that we take care of ourselves holistically: mind, body, and soul.  Here are a few tips to cope with stress over winter break:

Avoid information overload.

Resist the temptation to watch the news all day.  Limit your time on social media.  Stay informed through reputable, trusted sources.  Kindly speak up if you hear misinformation spread in public.  For example, COVID doesn’t discriminate, and neither should we.  Slash the stigma.  It doesn’t recognize age, race, nationality, or ethnicity.  

Focus on what you can control.

Look at all the good things still happening in your life.  One thing that’s always under your control is your physical health.  You know the drill:  eat good food, drink plenty of water, take your meds, exercise often, and sleep at least 8 hours a night.  Take care of yourself.  You’ve heard this over and over – but just to reiterate – here are the top 5 steps you can take to continue protecting yourself and others: stay home, wash your hands, wear your mask correctly, clean and disinfect, and avoid large groups. 

Recognize stress in yourself and others.

Know the signs – substance abuse, lack of sleep, and poor eating habits to name a few – then suit up to help people.  Worry and fear are relentless; however, don’t let them ruin your life.  Equip yourself with positive outlets: drawing, singing, shopping, eating, running, reading, writing, etc.  Remember: anything in excess can be dangerous.

Connect often.

Check in with friends and family.  Let people know how you’re doing, but don’t forget to ask how they’re holding up.  Conversations go both directions; life isn’t all about us.  Get virtually plugged in with communities like churches, organizations, and mental health support groups.  There’s no shame in seeking help and encouragement.

After Thanksgiving, a number of students will remain at home while others have several weeks of hybrid instruction remaining before Christmas.  To help ensure the safety of your peers and professors, consider a quick brain tickle upon your return to campus.  Quarantining may not be ideal since there are only a few weeks left.  Continue to take your temperature each day and assess how you’re feeling.  Be honest with yourself and others: if you’re feeling off in any way, don’t attend your in-person commitments.  Communicate with everyone in a timely fashion.  Last but not least, be kind and go make some music.

Hannah Shively

Youngstown '22

Hannah Shively is a senior pursuing her bachelor's degree in instrumental music education from the Dana School of Music at Youngstown State University. She's very passionate about a lot of things: Jesus, music, coffee, fruit snacks, dogs, the cello, and being barefoot. She adores traveling, especially to the beach. You can often find her hanging out with friends, making music, eating delicious food, and going on new adventures.