Yummy Smoothie Bowls You Should Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Smoothie bowls are all the rage right now! They are filling and super enjoyable. The arrangement of colored fruit and toppings are so versatile. Continue reading for some cool smoothie bowl recipes!

Green Smoothie Bowl

If you’ve never heard of Honeysuckle on YouTube, I highly suggest checking her out here. I am such a fan of her channel because she is so detailed and thorough with her recipes.  In her video EASY Green Smoothie Bowls!, Honeysuckle mixes in a variety of fruits and veggies to make this smoothie bowl a completely satisfying snack or meal.

Ingredients:

• 2-3 cups baby kale

• ½ cup coconut water

• ½ cup frozen mango chunks

• 1 whole frozen banana

• ½ an avocado

• Chia seeds

• Raspberries

• Coconut flakes

• ½ mango, thinly sliced

• 1 kiwi, thinly sliced

Preparation Instructions:

First take a handful of baby kale – about two or three cups – and add it into the blender. Next add in half a cup of coconut water, half cup of frozen mango chunks, one whole frozen banana and half an avocado. Blend the ingredients into a nice and thick smoothie. You want the smoothie to be thick because it needs to hold up the toppings in the bowl.

Set the smoothie aside and add some chia seeds, raspberries, coconut flakes and some thinly sliced mangoes and kiwis. The thinness will make it easier to arrange later. Finally, decorate the smoothie bowl with some fun toppings.

Berry Berry Good

I personally decided earlier this week I wanted to try and create a smoothie bowl myself, something less green and more pink. I call it Berry Berry Good!

Photo by: Bridget D’Orsogna 

Ingredients:

• ½ cup frozen raspberries

• ½ cup frozen blackberries

• ½ banana, thinly sliced

• Chia seeds

• Hemp hearts

• ½ cup blueberries

Preparation Instructions:

Take the frozen raspberries and blackberries and mix in the blender until smooth. That’s it! Because the fruits are frozen, the smoothie’s consistency should be thick. For toppings I like to sprinkle some chia seeds, hemp hearts, thinly sliced banana and some blueberries. Arrangements are up to you!

The Strawberry Mango Yum Yum

This smoothie bowl might just be my favourite because it tastes so fresh and sweet! And the best part, you only need two ingredients! You guessed it strawberries and mangos.

Source: Post Photos

Ingredients:

• 1 cup frozen strawberries

• 1 cup frozen mango

• Chia seeds

• Coconut chips

• Flaxseed

• 1 half banana, thinly sliced

Preparation instructions:

Take the frozen strawberries and mango slices and mix them in the blender until smooth. The smoothie consistency should be thick, perfect for laying the toppings! Once smoothie is placed in a bowl decorate with some toppings. For this recipe my favourite toppings are chia seeds, coconut chips, flaxseed and some thinly sliced banana. Once you try this yummy bowl you seriously will want it every morning, its that good!  

The Strawberry Banana Avocado  

Yes, avocado! If you want a breakfast that is more filling I would suggest this delicious recipe. Avocado is a great substitute for yogurt because it provides the same creamy consistency only its healthier and has less sugar.

Source: Add a Pinch

Ingredients:

• 1 cup frozen strawberries

• 1 frozen banana

• 1 avocado

• 1 tablespoon honey

• Chia seeds

• Flaxseed

• Granola

• Slices strawberries

• Sliced banana    

Preparation instructions:

In a blender place your frozen strawberries, banana, avocado and honey. The honey is optional, adding honey is a great natural sweetener. Mix ingredients until smooth and place in a bowl. Toppings that compliment this smoothie perfectly are of course chia seeds, flaxseed, sliced strawberries, sliced banana, and my personal favourite granola. The granola gives a yummy crunch and makes for a more hearty smoothie.

These recipes are a great way to spice up your breakfast and give it some color. They are perfect, especially when friends are over!

Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.