This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Are you traveling to New York anytime soon for a short period and have no idea where to start? 

That was me! I went to New York City for 48 hours which is not a lot of time in theory. I was also traveling with people who were visiting North America for the first time and since they picked the most vibrant, unique, magical city to visit, I had to really think about where to go and what to do. 

Without further ado, here are some ideas of what to see to fill your day(s) and make the most of this wonderful, magical city. 

1. Top of the rock, 30 rockefeller plaza

Love a good view? Climb your way up to the “Top of The Rock” and make sure to book time out for a stroll across the Brooklyn Bridge.

This observatory on top of Rockefeller Center is a definite must-see on the travel bucket list. The indoor and outdoor views of the whole city will leave you speechless. Unobstructed by any glass (at the top!), you feel like you are one with the skies. 

A clearer day will show you the best views of the skyline. With so many things to look for you won’t know where to start. As you look out towards the Empire State Building standing so tall as if it’s the center of the city, you just want to pinch yourself as if the moment you are living is a dream.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Hop on a subway and travel to Brooklyn! (That is if you can successfully navigate the subway, kudos to anyone who can do it because it is way more complicated than Toronto).

The Brooklyn Bridge is a fantastic landmark offering the most relaxing and serene walk. Walking with people on the bridge beside the traffic-filled highway is an unbeatable moment, especially once you turn around and see Manhattan behind. 

The historical bridge offers views of the Statue of Liberty, so make sure you get a glimpse of that because you wouldn’t want to miss it. This 30 minute walk over the bridge was a walk to remember.

*A side note: instead of walking back over the bridge, take a boat ride across to Wall Street. The boat departs from the pier beside the bridge and you can enjoy being on the water and take in the buzz of the city.

3. liberty bagels, 16 E 58th St, New York

Grab a bite for a delicious and savory bagel – but not just any bagel – New York’s finest Rainbow Bagels! Or, if you are super plain, they offer other familiar options. 

You can design your bagel by picking the kind of bread and the type of cream cheese you want. The options for cream cheese are endless and some are very unique. Is anybody up for trying a Birthday Cake flavor? 

I am not that risky about trying new foods, so I went with a classic Lox flavor which was just the creamiest cream cheese I ever tasted, topped with pieces of smoked salmon. 

The portions are perfect and will leave your tummy and heart so full.

Bagels
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

4. shake shack, 2 water street, brooklyn

Grab a juicy burger and curly fries from the very best place I never heard of before but will forever recommend. 

When I told people I was going to Shake Shack, they all responded, “Oh I’ve been, you’re going to love it.” Serving gourmet in-house beef burgers, this popular burger chain did not disappoint. The atmosphere is also welcoming and homey. 

There is a nearby pier where you can sit and peacefully enjoy the view of the Brooklyn Bridge and devour your burger. Topped off with my Sunset Lemonade drink, who could ask for more?

5. mandarin oriental lounge, 80 Columbus Cir Floor 35, New York

The true definition of dinner with a view

This elegant restaurant lounge located in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel offered a menu with upscale flair. I wasn’t sure what I liked more – my Chicken and Cassoulet meal or the stunning high-glass view overlooking Manhattan.

At night all you can see are the glimmering lights that are so memorizing, that you can’t help but stare. 

The place sets the standard for the best vibes that are even better in great company. It was a perfect spot to enjoy any night out, especially for birthdays! 

6. the met museum, 1000 5th Ave, New York

Have a Knack For Museums? 

Whenever I think about this art museum, the first thing that comes to mind is Gossip Girl. So, make sure to take a moment and sit on the infamous steps just like the Upper East Siders did. 

However, the true beauty is what’s within the walls and corridors of the art museum. The endless exhibitions were an ode to time through art, specifically paintings, architecture, and statues. You feel as though you’re traveling through different time periods and learning about history – both through what’s being represented and what’s missing.  

Art tells a story and my favorite was European Paintings, especially by Claude Monet. This is because from a distance I noticed the simplicity of the subject, like a vase of sunflowers. However, once I looked closer, I began to see all the fine details and how challenging it is to paint such a masterpiece.

6. central park

For the “Ones Seeking Some Peace”… Central Park!

No words can describe the peace and serenity of Central Park, so quietly nestled within the loud city. Home to many park wildlife, the long winding paths of the park offer a space for reflection, deep conversations and…horse and carriage rides!

In Central Park, you will find the Bethesda Terrace (another Gossip Girl moment!) and as you’re walking through it, make sure to look up at the tile-patterned ceilings. At the end of the terrace is a beautiful angel foundation overlooking the lake.

Time stands still in Central Park and will truly make you forget where you are. Surrounded by natural beauty, it is a moment you want to be very present for.

Just know that it is completely doable to see New York City in 48 hours. While you may not see everything, researching beforehand will make sure your trip is planned out to maximize all the time given. 

One advice that may seem obvious but may not be to some, is to bring your most comfortable walking shoes. I learned the hard way! So unless you want to be limping your way through the city that never sleeps, best believe the best way to sightsee all the major landmarks is in comfort. 

Trust me, during the day, NOBODY is looking at your feet because the views are above!

Last few important notes: 

1. Visit Times Square during the day and at night because just the change in time makes this attraction a whole different experience.
  2. Research the Charging Bull before visiting because it seems that everybody knows about it. 
  3. Spots in the Rose Main Reading Room in the New York Public Library fill up quickly and you won’t be allowed in at a certain point. 
  4. The best part of the American Museum of Natural History is the North American Mammals.

Walking along the streets gave me the biggest adrenaline rush because there was beauty in every corner.

I made the most of every minute I had, taking in the glimmering lights, loud music and breathtaking buildings. The architecture was so detailed and sometimes I just stopped to admire the carefully crafted work. 

There is something special about New York City that is so hard to explain. Everything about it is magic and it draws you in. Among the hustle and bustle every corner leaves you in awe. It felt like a dream and I only woke from it when I left part of my heart back on 1567 Broadway.

I am a big city girl, and I had a certain expectation of Manhattan, thinking, “It’s up to you, New York, New York” (Frank Sinatra, 1980). 

Well, New York City you were a grand old time. 

I was incredibly lucky to have gone on this spontaneous opportunity of a lifetime. New York City brought out the best in me and the lovely people whom I traveled with. Sure, we all shared a love for the city, but individually it meant so much to each and every one of us for different reasons. 

I sure know my reason.

Sofia is a Canadian writer from Vaughan, Ontario. She is in her fourth year at York University, studying Children, Childhood & Youth Studies, Sociology, as well as in teaching program. Sofia loves to write because it demonstrates her creativity and allows her to connect with other people. Writing is her favourite form of communication because words on paper hold so much meaning, and she hopes to give that to readers. Aside from writing, her other interests are shopping, reading romance novels, watching movies and going for walks!