White dog with paws on ledge
White dog with paws on ledge
Original photo by Sofia Cornacchia

What To Expect When You’re (Not) Expecting A Dog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

This is a story of how I accepted the thing I didn’t expect— my new role as a dog mom.

For those familiar with the popular sitcom Friends, you may know the episode entitled “The One Where Chandler Doesn’t Like Dogs.” Like how Chandler Bing confessed to the group his life-long fear of dogs, I too shared the same fear. In fact, I have used the word hate many times. I don’t know how Chandler’s character coped, but I know that if I saw a dog walking on the sidewalk, I would J-walk across the street with no shame and hide behind people. While I acknowledge my fear as irrational, it’s oh-so real. For all these reasons, I was convinced, without a shadow of a doubt, that I would go my whole life without ever having a pet. 

Until one day, the day I never thought would actually happen— actually happened.

I want to share my unique story, a classic enemies-to-lovers trope. While the decision to get a dog may not seem like a big deal to people, and even appear to be a natural life stage to some, this is one of the biggest things I have experienced in my life so far.

The main character of my story is Léonardo Don Corleone, aka Léo. But this story also features my story of growth, change, and adaptation. 

White dog on porch
Original photo by Sofia Cornacchia

On July 2nd, 2022, I woke up to a long day ahead — literally. Driving to a kennel in Waterloo was quite the journey. When we brought the little pup home for the first time, so many thoughts were circling my mind, with the most prominent one being, “What on earth did I get myself into?” 

White dog in backyard
Original photo by Sofia Cornacchia

Everyone I knew was so happy for me, except for me! I was terrified to touch him, feed him, or even hold him. Not to mention, the bathroom accidents were the most difficult part of the training process. I thought Léo would never get the hang of anything. I was not a present dog mom the first few weeks due to my crippling fear (hello, exposure therapy at its finest)! I spent years convincing myself that a pet was not for me and asking, “Who really can envision a pet in their home?”

White dog playing on dog bed
Original photo by Sofia Cornacchia

Despite all this, I knew I had to face the music and come to terms with my new responsibility. I attempted to make daily efforts to bond with Léo, and I saw a change in myself. While I was still anxious, I asked for advice and began introducing him to my family and friends. The end of summer was near, and things started to really look up.

White dog sitting in grass
Original photo by Sofia Cornacchia

*Can we skip to the good part* — the day when I fell in love with Léo. 

I can only describe it as a tremendous shift. I have no exact clue what happened, but it is some miracle. Léo really is SOME DOG (Those who know Charlotte’s Web will understand this reference). 

Léo is simply a RADIANT and beautiful creature. He is the sweetest dog who showers me with unconditional love. My favorite part of my day is coming home— Léo can hear the garage open from a mile away and sits in the laundry room, patiently waiting to greet me with his wagging tail. To this day, he plops down beside me for me to pet him— which ultimately turns into snuggles. I see so much love in his eyes, and it fills a spot in my heart that I had no idea was empty. Léo truly makes my days so much brighter, and I am so grateful that he came into my life. He has shown me what unconditional love is and has taught me the true sacrifice of putting my own needs secondary in the care of someone else. 

White dog in Maple Leafs jersey
Original photo by Sofia Cornacchia

My journey to even speak of this matter is something I could have never predicted. I am a whole new person and have discovered a new essence of patience and simplicity. I enjoy the little things more — I find my mornings look different than what they used to be. 

“Time goes by, so slowly” (Unchained Melody) — but for real, it feels as if time slows down for once. And in the hustle and bustle of a world out there, this is exactly what I need right now.

Adorable yet quite troublesome? He’s definitely a keeper!

*Note to self: Never say never! 

One thing I’ve learned from this new journey is that you never know what life will hand you — it could be a little white puppy with a bit of beige on his ears. Turns out the remedy for my fear of dogs was actually to get one…and the journey doesn’t end here

To all the dog people out there, I finally understand. I’m happy to be part of the club :)

Most importantly, a big thank you to my little guy! <3 

Sofia is a part time writer at Her Campus for York University. Branching under the sectors of life and culture, Sofia likes to write about her experiences and inspirations, that shape the person she is, and wants to be. She loves to write because it demonstrates her creativity and allows her to connect with other people. Writing is her favourite form of communication because words on paper hold so much meaning, and she hopes to give that to readers. Beyond Her Campus, Sofia works for the City of Vaughan, where she instructs recreational programs for children and youth. She enjoys working with children and youth because learning from them is both a humbling and rewarding experience. Sofia completed her undergraduate studies, majoring in Children, Childhood & Youth Studies, and minoring in Sociology. She is currently in her first year in the Bachelor of Education Program, as a teacher candidate. Aside from writing, Sofia enjoys reading romance novels and watching movies in her free time. Always ready for adventures, she loves discovering new restaurants in Downtown Toronto and enjoys going for walks. But most importantly, spending time with family, friends, and her dog Léo are what brings her the most joy.