Ways To Give Back This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Here we are at the beginning of December. This time can be very jolly but also very busy and stressful. It is easy to get swept up in the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. The events, The parties, present buying, being around family, and much more! In such busy times like this, it is good to take a step back and also really reflect on what we’re thankful for going into the new year. One way to do that can be giving back during the holiday season. Today, I will be going over some different ways you can give back this holiday season depending on your situation. 

1. donate to a food bank

One way you can give back this holiday season is by donating non-perishable food items to a food bank near you! All you have to remember when you’re doing this is you don’t have to spend a fortune. You don’t have to go out and spend $200 on food you’re going to donate, we all know times have been a little rough. But at the end of the day, you just have to remember that anything helps! If you’re at the grocery store, picking up a few extra cans of soup. Donating them can mean the world to someone this holiday season! 

Most grocery stores have a donation bin during this time of year that goes to a local food bank. The Toronto Central Healthline also has a page with a full list of food banks and food programs in the area of Toronto; it is linked here.  

2. donate to a toy drive

Another cool way you can give back this December is donating to a toy drive. Toy drives strive to give every kid the chance to experience the joy of opening up a brand new toy on Christmas morning. 

The Toronto’s Firefighter Toy drive is one option for this in the Toronto area. They take donations in three different ways. You can make a monetary donation, you can browse and choose pre planned gift kits, or drop off an unwrapped toy to a Toronto Fire Station. You can find more information about the program here. 

3. donate hats and mittens

Another need for many people this time of the year is the warmth of winter clothing items. Not everyone is as fortunate to have a warm place to stay during the colder months here in Canada. During times like these, individuals who are in need of these items will be more than appreciative. 

If you do a quick Google search, where to donate winter clothing in Toronto, you will find many many options! Navigating the single websites to gain more information would also be helpful as some organizations might be in need for some items over others. 

4. send holiday cards!

This time of year can get lonely for some and having a little pick me up, even just getting to read a genuine holiday card, can bring positivity to many people this holiday season. The great thing about this activity is that it doesn’t cost much (maybe a stamp!) and you also don’t have to dedicate an immense amount of time, meaning it’s a very attainable way to give back and show thanks.  You can write a card to different groups of people too. For example, nursing homes, a children’s hospital and veterans.

Here I will link a few websites that can make this possible. On the site you will find all the information you need to send a holiday card this season! 

Elderly/ Nursing Homes

Children’s Hospitals

• Sick Kids – profits from buying their Christmas cards go towards the foundation. This year Sick Kids is not accepting physical donations so this is the best way you can help out!

Veterans

5. volunteer your time

The last thing you may want to consider doing over the holiday season is finding some way to volunteer your time. You can do this in many ways such as local hospitals, shelters and food banks! Taking time out of your busy schedule may seem like an impossible thing to do, but once you do, you will feel so good knowing the time you put in was to help someone else. 

Hi, Im Jaden! I am a Bachelor of Science Psychology major at York University. I love to read, write, workout and crochet.