Tips to Help You Cope With Seasonal Depression

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. The sky turns dark before you even step out for your hot girl walk and we’re setting our clocks back. The weather can make it difficult to get through what is already a stressful exam week for students. All of this can contribute to seasonal affective disorder or SAD.  Fortunately, a remedy exists. For those of us who dread winter and the seasonal depression accompanied by it, it might be helpful to integrate some self-care products into your routine. Here is a list of things you could do to gear up for winter and help alleviate symptoms of seasonal depression. 

1. soak in some Therapy light!

One of the struggles of winter mornings is waking up on time. Our bodies are designed to respond to sunlight and the lack of it can make it difficult for our internal clocks to wake us up in the morning. This is where therapy clocks or sunrise alarm clocks can be very helpful. They mimic sunlight so you will be soaking up all of its benefits even when the sun isn’t out.

2. make use of a weighted blanket!

Make the act of staying indoors all cozy an activity to look forward to. Weighted blankets have been known to reduce blood pressure and even symptoms of depression and are perfect for extra comfort as the days get colder. 

3. vitamin d supplements

Sunlight supplies us with vitamin D, which is crucial for good physical and improved mental health. It is easy to develop a vitamin D deficiency, especially during the winter months when there is so little sunlight. Incorporating vitamin D supplements can help ensure you are getting enough of it during winter months, alongside other edible sources such as milk.

As always, it is best to consult with your doctor for your needs. With products like these in mind, winter can be made a bit less unbearable and you’ll be able to enjoy your time indoors.

Final year student studying Psychology, Medical Anthropology and Statistics. I am passionate about health and wellness. Writing is my catharsis. I love spending time with my cat while curling up with a good book. I love to study financial markets for fun. I play video games, occasionally.