This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Hello everyone and welcome to spring! I hope you are all enjoying the longer days of light as much as I am! This article is going to be about the journey of building up your self confidence and some of the possible ups and downs. 

To start off, the journey of building up self confidence is never going to be a straight line, so if those are your expectations, you might want to step back and re-evaluate before giving it your all. The positive aspect of having realistic expectations of your journey is that you aren’t going to be outright disappointed. This journey will include ups, downs, good moments and bad moments and you have to be ready to face those. One of the best ways to face some of the downs and negative moments is to have a good set of coping strategies and outlets. 

No one is going to have an amazing perfect day every single day of their journey. Bad days are bound to happen. However, if you have a healthy outlet you’re more likely to get through the bad times a little easier and see the positives in more situations. You will also come to the realisation that bad days don’t last forever, and it’s more about how you navigate them and not let them overcome you. 

It’s also important to remember that while you’re on your journey, do not get discouraged if something doesn’t work for you. If you try to integrate something into your daily routine to build self-confidence, for example, going to the gym. Do not be discouraged when you don’t see results right away. Just like it takes time to see results in the gym, it’s going to take time to see results of your self-confidence start to shine through. Believe in yourself and stay consistent and you will achieve anything!

The next really important point I’m going to talk about is; not everyone’s journey is going to look the same! You might get inspiration from social media, friends or others on how to build up your self confidence. My biggest tip here is to try things but don’t rely on them because what works for others might or might not work for you. A really beautiful part of this journey is learning about yourself on a deeper level. With that brings learning about what works for you the best, and it is a-okay if that’s different from others or the typical ‘norm.’ 

Like Miley Cyrus said “There’s always gonna be another mountain, I’m always gonna wanna make it move, Always gonna be an uphill battle, Sometimes I’m gonna have to lose, Ain’t about how fast I get there, Ain’t about what’s waiting on the other side, It’s the climb.”

I love this quote (and song!) because it is just so so true! Things are not always going to work out exactly like you want them too. You are going to have to face obstacles in this self confidence journey that are going to feel impossible to overcome, but you need to remember one thing, you can do anything you put your mind to with the right mindset. 

I hope this article gave you some insight into how to begin this amazing, healing, learning journey. Have an amazing day y’all. 

Hi, Im Jaden! I am a Bachelor of Science Psychology major at York University. I love to read, write, workout and crochet.