This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

You know that daunting, anxiety-ridden feeling you experience on a Sunday evening? That’s a form of anticipatory anxiety whether you call it Sunday Scaries, The Sunday Blues, the Fear, the Shakes, the Dread — it’s definitely there. 

Why do they happen? 

Sunday scaries involve nervousness and dread about something that hasn’t happened yet: the upcoming week. This could be related to office, school, work, or something else entirely. As the minutes pass on Sunday afternoon you’ll probably notice symptoms like restlessness, stomach issues, irritability, and a vague sense of unease. 

Know that you’re not alone

Sunday scaries are more common than you may think. According to a survey by LinkedIn in 2018, it was reported that among 1017 adults, 80% experienced Sunday night anxiety. This piece of information may not fix the problem but simply knowing that there are others out there who feel the same way helps. 

So how do you deal with Sunday Scaries? 

Even though the majority of people experience Sunday scaries, there’s quite a bit you can do to combat them. Read on for several ways on how to reduce this anxiety.

top view of open book with lemon in cup
Photo by Joanna Kosinska from Unsplash
Relaxation techniques 

Practicing relaxation techniques like breathing exercises, reading your favorite book, listening to music, or watching your favorite show can help reduce your anxiety. Working out is also a great stress reliever and helps alleviate anxiety. Alternatively, you could talk to a friend and also lend a listening ear to their worries. 

black marker on notebook
Photo by Estée Janssens from Unsplash
Plan ahead 

Planning your week and everything you want to achieve beforehand greatly reduces anxiety, whether it’s a full-fledged planner or a simple to-do list. Write out all the tasks you want to achieve by the end of the week and break them down into subtasks and divide them into the respective days. Also, make sure you slide in a movie night or something exciting so you look forward to the week rather than dread it. This method helps you calmly step back, look at the big picture, and set priorities. It’ll also assure you have a game plan in place to successfully finish all the tasks planned and subsequently reduce potential Sunday Scaries. 

Tackle the root cause

Being self-aware of your thoughts and noticing patterns can go a long way. Try to identify and call out your anxious thoughts to find out what exactly is triggering these. Some questions you could ask yourself include: 

Why am I feeling this way? 

What am I scared of? 

What am I dreading? 

The answers to these questions could help identify what you might wanna change. For instance, if you’re feeling a sense of guilt about procrastinating last week, try to channel that anxious energy into a more productive start to the upcoming week. 

Girl watching Netflix
Photo by Mollie Sivaram from Unsplash

Treat yo self!

So what if it’s the last day of the weekend? It’s STILL the weekend, so you may as well enjoy it. Watch your favorite movie or TV show, put on a face mask and order in for the night (stay home stay safe, remember?). This is my version of treating myself but yours could be different. Do what makes you feel emotionally recharged so you can take your mind off the upcoming week. 

blue bed and mattress with pillows
Photo by Greg Rivers from Unsplash
Sleep early 

I know this might contradict the point I made above, but sleeping early and getting at least 8 hours of sleep leaves you fresh and energized for the next day and in turn, prevents your Sunday scaries from turning into Monday scaries. You’ll be able to think with a clear mind and in turn, be more productive. Put on your favorite PJs, light up a few candles and perhaps use a lavender-scented bed spray (lavender helps calm your nerves) and read your favorite book before going to bed. 

clear glass jar on opened book
Photo by Paige Cody from Unsplash

The creeping sense of dread you may feel on a Sunday evening may be partially a product of the unprecedented times we live in and so there might not be a quick fix to it. That being said, try not to let this feeling get the best of you. Instead, acknowledge it, accept that you might not be able to entirely get rid of it, distract yourself with your favorite hobbies and the company of your loved ones. You got this!

Zainab Abbasi is in her 3rd year of Mechanical Engineering. She is passionate to write about topics related to beauty, mental health, fashion, study tips and much more. In her spare time she enjoys drawing, cooking, eating any dessert she can find and binge watching serial killer documentaries!
Lisa is a former writer, executive member, and Chapter Leader of Her Campus at York U. She graduated from York University in 2021 with a BA in Anthropology. She is a Kappa Phi Xi alumni and is currently pursuing a Paralegal studies accelerated diploma at Seneca College.