Staying Connected with the Real World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Staying in-touch with reality can be tough. As young adults in the modern day, so much of our lives revolve around technology! I spend the majority of my day either on my phone or working on my laptop. When the digital space takes over most of your waking day, it can be easy to forget the beauty of the world around you. So, here’s a few tips for how to stay connected with the real world!

Pause for a moment to take in your surroundings

Life tends to be fast-paced. Especially for university students, who have to balance courses, assignments, work, clubs, and social life throughout the week. I’ve noticed how quickly myself and the people around me walk — we’re always hustling to get somewhere. I even speed to get somewhere when I’m not in a rush! When I remember that I don’t need to be in a hurry, I will pause, slow down, and take in the environment around me. How the wind feels against my face, the way the light shines onto the trees and buildings, the smells in the air, and any other senses I can take in. Without taking these moments throughout the week, I’m confident I would feel detached to the environment I’m in.

go on adventures

Gather your friends, family, or just yourself- and go on an adventure! This may sound daunting, but I’m only romanticizing the idea of wandering and exploring the area around you. Look for corridors hidden in plain sight, go down paths you’ve never taken before, climb those stairs you walk past every morning — that type of exploration. It doesn’t have to take up much of your time, but it can be thrilling to explore the spaces around you beyond what you frequent.

Relish in the little things

Be attentive to your surroundings and the little things that happen around you. It’s the small details — the way the light shines into your room while you’re studying, or the crinkle of your friend’s cheeks as they smile. Be aware of these details and allow yourself to linger when you catch them. It’s all about appreciating the moment while living it!

Savor your food

It can be easy to get caught up in the mechanical action of eating. You’re fueling your body, and sometimes we can forget to really taste what we’re eating. Try to eat slower and focus on your olfactory sense. What does this food taste like? Can you notice any subtle flavors in the recipe? Allow yourself to enjoy your food, and savor it.

Overall, stay in touch with your senses

Being in touch with my senses keeps me in touch with the real world. Even if I spend more than half of my day on my phone, I can still stay connected with life. Breathing in the air on my walk to class, pausing to take in the weaving of the vibes along a building, and by being in the moment in any way I can. Try it out, and see if these things help you stay in touch with reality.

Amy Cooper

York U '25

I am a third year at York University majoring in Media Arts and minoring in Psychology. I have special interests in fashion, theatre, psychology, and nature :) I hope you like my work!