This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

I can definitely say that i’ve never struggled more with the urge to sleep in like I do when I need to get to class in the morning. While we are human beings who make some questionable decisions at times, I’m sure we can all agree that we want to avoid having any regrets like being late to class, handing in assignments late, or studying at the last minute for exams. All of this is right around the corner, or, perhaps, already here! 

The transition from being on holiday to working or studying, whether you travel out of town or stay put, is never an easy one. Although it’s difficult to get back into a working schedule, it’s not impossible. Our minds have immense power to control the outcome of the day – to decide whether we would like it to be a productive and well-rounded day, or a day piled-up with disappointment and lack of productivity. 

Want to know how to get back into the swing of things and put your best foot forward? Here’s my advice!

1. Plan and prepare for the first week of school

Before starting the first week of a semester, you must ensure you are going in prepared. Being prepared does not only entail reviewing posted content, learning the syllabus, learning course directors’ and professors’ names, etc., but it also includes being mentally and physically prepared.

Many students overlook that the last week of holiday is no longer a break, but rather a reset to the coming wave of responsibilities. There is no doubt that it’s a hard concept to grasp, but accepting that giving our bodies a week to adjust to a new and improved schedule can only benefit our performance in the upcoming semester. 

During the resetting and preparation stage, I find myself doing the following:

• Take an inventory of school supplies (if anything is running out / needed, go purchase more)
  • Grooming! (haircut, waxing, nails, etc.)
  • Do the laundry (making sure to clean sheets, clothes, towels, etc.)
  • Read books (to enhance focus)
  • Review past/future content
  • Review course syllabus 
  • Map out where class locations are
  • Clean up email inbox

And the list goes on. There may be specific personal tasks or items to add to the list. The general idea is to make sure you are keeping your semester as organized as possible and to just focus on coursework once it begins. 

In addition to the reset to-do list, it is also important to plan the first week of the semester to the best of your ability according to the courses you have. This can be done using a regular daily planner by giving yourself a generalized schedule to work with once the semester begins. 

2. fix your sleep schedule

The biggest struggle for many students is the inability to sleep for enough hours through the night, especially after being up late and sleeping in during the holidays. Usually, going out of town on vacations hinders one’s circadian rhythm (sleep schedule), also known as having jet lag, which is caused by living in a different timezone for a short period of time. Although jet lag affects sleep, it can still be controlled. 

Whether you are dealing with jet lag from the holidays or simply having a terrible sleep schedule, it is up to you to fix it before the first night of the semester. One of the most commonly practiced methods is to “get right with the light.” In order to fix your sleep cycle, you need to make sure you are getting more sunlight during the day. Plan your days according to the sunny times of the day by forcing yourself to wake up earlier no matter how tired you are. Practice relaxation techniques throughout the day and at night to help increase the quality of your sleep by ensuring you are relaxed before going to bed. 

To fix your sleep cycle, it is also vital that you skip naps or any form of caffeine at later times in the day, because when you have reached the last week of your holiday break, you no longer need to lengthen your hours of being awake. Rather, you need to go to bed at a reasonably early time in order to wake up early the next morning. 

This method is highly effective if consistently practiced throughout one week. Our bodies are delicate machines that will adjust properly in time. Giving a week for your body to change its sleep cycle is an intelligent approach to ensure you walk into your new semester with a fixed and workable sleep schedule. A proper sleep cycle is extremely beneficial to your everyday performance as it permits you to have an increased amount of energy, brain function, and an abundance of productive hormones (dopamine, serotonin, endorphins, oxytocin) which also keep you in a good mood. 

3. physical activity

Just as fixing your sleep cycle takes at least a week, similarly, getting into a workout routine also takes about a week to develop. To attain the utmost physical health, it is crucial there is a set time or at least a set routine for moving your body once a day. Many people prefer to work out or walk to get their steps in whenever they are done with their school priorities, while others prefer to have a set time of day for physical activity. 

Whatever schedule works best for you, it is important to make sure you start to get into the routine a week prior to starting the semester. This will ensure that you feel more inclined to workout at the set time during your busy school schedule as well. 

Daily physical activity as a young adult, or even a teenager, has immense benefits, including increased academic performance, enhanced mood, and better overall health for your future self. 

These are the three most important preparation items to check off the list in your last week of the holiday break – just before the start of a new semester – which will help you feel confident, powerful, productive, and happy throughout the semester. Developing these habits before the semester begins will make for a smoother transition so you are not overwhelmed with trying to build a working daily routine. 

Nawal Zaidi

York U '25

Nawal is a part-time writer for Her Campus at York University. She loves to write about topics regarding personal growth, fitness, fashion, and different issues or advancements in healthcare. Beyond HerCampus, she works at the Mackenzie Health Hospital and currently is a marketing director for York University's Women in White Coats organization. Previously, she has shadowed healthcare professionals, been part of a couple of sports teams, and participated in various extracurricular organizations at York University. She holds unique qualifications such as sports medals as well as a first aid CPR certificate. She is a Junior at York University, majoring in Kinesiology and Health Sciences. In her free time, Nawal enjoys reading, watching movies, hanging out or playing sports with her friends and family. Nawal is a woman of many interests and loves to take on new challenges as well as try as many different things as she can!