Wellness

Social Media Detox: Scrolling Less & Living More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Living in a hyper-connected world, social media often feels inescapable. There’s no denying that staying connected through media platforms has its perks, but it isn’t always a perfect experience. The endless pinging of notifications can quickly and easily draw us back to the screen. You may have noticed that the endless scrolling can, at times, leave you feeling more overwhelmed than entertained. If this is the case, a social media cleanse may be an effective temporary remedy. 

A social media detox allows you to break free from the online media platforms that continuously call out to us with every notification. The incessant scrolling, comparison traps, and dopamine-driven feedback loops can be too much to bear at times. You can log off of these apps for the day or steer clear from them for months. It’s ultimately up to you to make that conscious decision to disconnect from the virtual world in order to reconnect with the world around us and simply live in the moment

We’ve seen numerous celebrities take the plunge and call it quits on social media – at least temporarily. There’s really no correct way to do this; don’t be afraid to simply ease into the cleanse as you navigate what works best for you. A digital detox can be anything you want it to be. You can begin by setting clear intentions; start by identifying why you want to undergo a social media detox. Whether it’s to reduce stress, improve productivity, or enhance your mental well-being, having a clear intention will help you stay committed throughout the process. As you gradually reduce your time on social media, reflect on how you feel at the end of each day. When you feel tempted to reconnect with the online world, fill your time with other activities or hobbies that leave you feeling fulfilled

Canva

You might be surprised at how much lighter, happier, and more connected you feel once you take some time apart from the digital world. You can step back into it whenever you’re ready, but don’t forget to enjoy your time off and connect with the world around you! 

Krizia is a part-time writer for York University's chapter in the Her Campus magazine. She is interested in a wide array of topics, including wellness, life, fashion, culture and career. As a full-time graduate student at York, she is attaining a Masters degree in English. Krizia has made many meaningful contributions to this chapter since she was previously part of the HC team during her undergraduate years.