Celebrities Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Celebrities Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Emily Veith / Justin Bieber / Hailey Baldwin Bieber / Pink / Lizzo

Social Distancing: Activities to Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

The need to socialize is a primal part of human nature, so while the world practices social distancing in response to coronavirus, it is important to fill that void. Although we are told to stay inside and avoid contact with other people, this is the time to be the most connected with each other, whether it be through FaceTime, Skype or other media platforms. There are still many activities we can do while maintaining a safe distance. The following is a list of fun summer activities we can do while in quarantine.

Netflix Party

If you’re looking for a way to be a bit more social while zoning out in front of a screen, there’s a Google Chrome extension that allows you to do just that. Gather up the group chat and watch Netflix together without even having to be in the same room — it’s called Netflix Party and it might just be exactly what you need right now. Netflix Party is a simple-to-use extension that lets you watch TV and movies from Netflix with your friends, at the same time. You can catch up on what’s happening in your lives in the handy chat room that it adds in the sidebar.

Learn to Cook

You can transform your lunch break from a quick trip to the sandwich shop to a culinary class level meal. Whether you try an online course or experiment with recipes on your own, you can use the additional time you have at home to learn how to cook and bake new dishes that will impress everyone once the dinner parties resume.

Exercise

Just because your local gym is closed doesn’t mean that you should abandon your exercise routine. Being sedentary is even more tempting as you spend most of your time at home. Take breaks from work to do some push-ups, incorporate a workout video into your morning routine, or go for a brisk walk or run outside. If you do exercise outdoors, make sure to stay at least six feet away from people and wash your hands when you return home.

Journaling

A journal is a personal outlet for any feelings and opinions you have. It can be a useful way to organize your thoughts, too. Your mental health may also improve by distracting your mind from the uncertainty and getting your thoughts out on paper. Keeping a journal can reduce anxiety and stress by allowing your mind and body to connect and relaxing your muscles.

Learn a Language

Duolingo is a great app that allows you to learn a few words a day of any language you choose. There’s so much free time, so why not use it to impress your friends and family post-quarantine?

Read a Book

Take this time to finally read the book that’s been sitting on your bookshelf for the last few years. Not only will you find a new hobby but it is important to get into a different head space rather than spending time watching the news all day.

Start a Garden

Spring is the perfect time to start planning your garden and getting some seeds started indoors. Gardening is a fun activity to get the whole family involved. Choose a few things to plant in the garden. If you can, carefully go to the store and buy the seeds and materials and have your whole family plant their favorite flowers, fruits and vegetables. You can also replant certain vegetables with scraps. Watching the little seeds sprout is so exciting for the whole family.

Spring Cleaning

Setting small goals and cleaning out even one junk drawer in your house will feel like a huge accomplishment (because it is!). Get your whole family involved in cleaning one area and it will seem much more fun and it’ll get done faster. This way you get to have a little fun and get a clean house in the process. It’s a win-win, right?

Although remaining inside is a good way to protect yourself and others from the coronavirus, and is an important measure to help “flatten the curve” of daily cases that put pressure on our health care system, it could lead to a lesser evil: boredom and stir craziness. Hopefully, these activities can help maintain some excitement in our lives. It is important to stay inside and practice social distancing so we can get back to normal as soon as possible.

Just your average girl writing about some above average content 
Kaitlin is a bilingual (French and English) writer originating from friendly Thunder Bay. They are in their seventh year at York University, where they study professional writing with an emphasis on journalism. They live with their partner of nine years and their cat, Tessa. They started writing with a passion and a poem that eventually won third in a contest 12 years ago, and started editing not too long after. When not at the keyboard, Kaitlin can be found reading, cooking, playing video games, or holding Tessa. Their favorite movies are scary and their favorite television genre is reality. Kaitlin's passions include copyediting, anything scary or spooky and adding to her collection of dolls, magnets and cups. Their favorite part of writing/editing is giving others a chance to share their story or achieve their dreams and offering insight on "the little things." Some of Kaitlin's favorite topics reflect on their personal life, including health/disabilities, fringe topics and social issues.