Sleep Deprivation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Sleep is one of those things many of us tend to take for granted, and I am one of those people. Don’t get me wrong, I love sleeping. I just make bad decisions, most of the times, especially when it comes to my sleeping schedule. In my mind, those 8 hours of sleep that I should be getting are a waste of time. I could be doing so many things in those 8 hours, right?! The answer is yes, but it’s more than just that aspect. There is the aspect of how as human beings, sleep is a necessity. If it wasn’t so important, then throughout time and evolution, humans would’ve adapted fine without sleep, and/or with less sleep.

Let’s talk about the aftermath of going without sleep… your body will NOT be on your side. Your body will hate you, it will scold every single second up until you give it sleep. You will feel very tired, almost sick. I know that feeling too well.

Why do I fight sleep though, you may be wondering? Well, let’s talk about the fact ever since I started my first year at university, I did not really manage my time well, nor my course load. So many times I had to sacrifice sleep, just to submit that lab report due at 10 am.

I am not the type of people who fall asleep anywhere. I need a form of a blanket and a pillow, otherwise sleep is out of the picture. This was the first thing that changed about me in the transition to adulthood. I would find myself falling asleep on the bus so many times. It was so weird to me, my body would just give up on me suddenly, at any opportunity.

Sleep deprivation is also known as the factor that attracts embarrassing situations and events. This one time, I fell asleep on the GO bus.

I woke up about and hour and a half later, somewhere remotely far from where I was supposed to get off. For those of you who don’t know, the GO bus charges you per distance, not per number of hours. So not only did I end up on the other side of the country, but I was ripped off financially. If you are not riding with a friend, please don’t sleep on the bus.

Speaking of friends, let’s talk about the parties I get invited to. It was my friend’s birthday and she held a party at her house. I did not realize how tired I was after dancing, before she even blew the candles, your girl fell asleep on the couch.

They did not wake me up. Next thing I know, is I wake up screaming (because I had a nightmare coincidentally) in a strange bed. Worst part is, I scare my friend who is sleeping in the same room, and her mom rushed inside the room. Yup, SO embarrassing and awkward. But it’s okay, I have been through so many embarrassing and awkward events in my life, that at this point they’re not so awkward anymore. I just remind myself to stay calm and think of a solution for the situation.

Here I am, going to state the obvious to you guys, sleep is the only solution to sleep deprivation.

Full-time psychology student, part- time poet. In love with words since the age of 11. Enjoys expressing myself and talking about things that matter.
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.