Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Single for Valentine’s Day? Here’s What You Can Do!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

If you’re single this time of year, it can be rough. The world loves to remind us singles of what or who we’re missing in our lives. However, there are so many forms of love out there — platonic, familial, and self to name a few. Why make it all about romance? This will be the 20th year I haven’t had a valentine, and I’ve decided to stop moping and make the most out of the day. Here’s a list of things you can do this Valentine’s Day to flip the concept on its head and scrap the romantic hubbub. 

Galentine’s Day

I’m sure you’ve heard of Galentine’s before — an alternative to Valentine’s Day where you spend the day with all your single girl friends! Galentine’s takes on many forms, and how you spend it is really up to the gals. You can throw a party, have a sleepover, have a spa day, or anything you can think of that’d be fun for the ladies! If you don’t have a group of single friends, it’s still Galentine’s if there are two gals, so get your bestie roped into this day for platonic love!

Treat Yourself To A Nice Meal

Let’s say you don’t have any single friends or that everyone is busy this year (Valentine’s day is on a Tuesday, after all). Treat yourself to a meal! It can be as simple as cooking something a bit more complex than ramen, or taking yourself out to a cute cafe or restaurant for the occasion. Self-love is all about treating yourself like the most important person in your life! Not to mention that you’ll only have to foot the bill for one person instead of two.

At-home Spa dAY

Get out those face masks I know you have sitting in a drawer somewhere and go buckwild! Run yourself a nice bath (if you have a tub), slice up some cucumbers for your eyes, and light some candles. Whatever you think you can do to emulate the experience of being in a spa, do it! Relax and indulge in your DIY spa day. Hot towels and a pedicure can do wonders to clear your head… and color your toes!

Spend Time With Your Family

University is tough, and we can often fall into isolation from the stress and craziness of it all. If you haven’t seen or spent quality time with your family in a while, Valentine’s is the day to do it! If you moved out for school, you can arrange a video call to catch up with family back home. 

Buy Discounted Valentine’s Day Treats

Every year, the thing I look most forward to for Valentine’s Day is all the discounted chocolates and sweets available in stores. Usually, these sales start on the holiday itself, so if you plan to spend the day alone, you can get some yummy snacks that fit the theme! I also extend this to other special holiday items, and hunt for cute themed accessories, stuffed animals, and the occasional cookie cutter or chocolate mold.

Romance Novels and Movies

If you’re someone that loves a good romance story or film, why not enjoy some on a day built around romance? However, I’d recommend proceeding with caution. If you find that you can be sensitive or have a hard time being alone on Valentine’s Day, consuming media about the subject can intensify or worsen these emotions. Even though I’ve always spent the day immersed in fictional romance, I won’t be doing that this year because I recently had a relationship end and I’m sensitive to romantic content right now. If you’re in a similar boat but can escape into fictional love stories with ease despite the circumstances, I applaud you! 

This list of things you can do for Valentine’s Day if you’re single is not the limit. You can do anything you’d do on a normal day, or something that you believe suits you more than one of my suggestions. I encourage you to remind yourself that romantic love isn’t a necessity in life, and that self-love always comes first. Be sure to not neglect your family and friends in pursuit of a valentine! The day is for everyone, no matter if they have a partner, a friend, their family, or themself in love.

Amy Cooper

York U '25

I am a third year at York University majoring in Media Arts and minoring in Psychology. I have special interests in fashion, theatre, psychology, and nature :) I hope you like my work!