Queer Events Happening in Toronto this February

February is upon us, and with it comes another great month of queer events in Toronto. Whether you are a member of the community or not, the gay village on Wellesley is a great location to find new and exciting events, friends and make memories. We’re now a month into school, and if you’re like me, you need a little fun break to recuperate. So, here’s a list of queer events below!

1. 1. House of Kings: Open Stage

Date: February 5th, 2020 at 9pm

Interested in trying drag? The House of Kings open show is open for those with experience in drag performance and those with no experience. Open to drag kings and gender performers. You can sign up to perform, or simply enjoy the show. I have been to an Open Stage event before and I highly recommend attending one if you get a chance. The event is hosted by ZacKey Lime & Alexandher Brandy at the Glad Day Bookshop. The Glad Day Bookshop is the oldest running LGBTQ+ bookshop in the world, running since 1970. It’s definitely a place to check out.

2. 2. Find Your Sexy! Heels, Health and Individuality

Date: February 3rd, 10th, and 24th 2020 at 6:30pm

Ever wanted to try heels dancing? Well, now is your chance! The 519 in the gay village is hosting a free heels dancing course. The course is meant to focus on health, well-being and finding your inner sexy and self-confidence. The class will end with you learning a heels dance that you will eventually perform in class. This is a great tool to feel sexy in your body, while also getting some exercise.

woman wearing red high heels with white socks that say girls rule
  3. 3. Carnaval (Let Go and Live)

Date: February 14th 6:00pm

Presented by the Institute of Islamic studies & the Latin American Studies from the University of Toronto, Carnaval is a show consisting of music and gender performers celebrating artists with a shared queer inclusive narrative. The show is curated by Scrapfest which “a multicultural, immigrant friendly indie music series showcasing alternative artists with varied geopolitical backgrounds and a common outsider perspective.” Make sure to check out this show! I’ve seen some of the performers before and they are very talented.

4. 4. Glad Day Drag Bingo

Date: February 15th, 2020 at 7:00pm 

Hosted by Glad day, this event includes bingo, drinks, food, drag kings and queens. You must reserve your spot before hand, and tickets for a seat at a table are going for $15. Who doesn’t love bingo and drag?

5. 5. Queer Trivia Night

Date: February 20th, 2020

Are you a trivia wiz? Now is your chance to test out some of your trivia at the Glad Day Queer Trivia Night. You can play with a group of friends, or individually. There are also prizes to be won.

6. 6. Lavender X Pop Up

Date: February 21st, 2020 

Hosted at the Gladstone Hotel. The Lavender is pop up a party for lesbian, bisexual, pansexual, queer women, non-binary folks and trans people, but everyone is welcome to attend. The drag and gender performer lineup is still in the works, but the event will be hosted by Anasimone George. Advance tickets are currently on sale for $10, make sure to get them early!

This list is only a small fraction of the events coming this February. I highly recommend you visit Wellesley when you have a chance, and treat yourself to a break. It’s important to support your local kings and queens. See you there!