This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Considering I am writing this on International Women’s Day (March 8), I saw it fitting to discuss some outstanding women. I have seen social media posts everywhere about women who have changed the world with their music, their scientific discoveries, their philanthropy, their activism, charity work, bravery, talent, knowledge, business skills, and everything under the sun. It’s empowering, as a woman, to see the kinds of things others have achieved and know that the sky’s the limit for me too. 

I think it’s important to recognize women who might not be famous, but are still outstanding. The women who don’t get the recognition they deserve, and yet continue to be amazing women just because that’s who they are. 

My mom

I’m not even sure where to start with my mom. Most people I know say they have the best mom ever, but they’re all wrong. I have the best mom ever. She’s the one who taught me to aspire for more, and how to work hard to achieve my dreams. She’s full of compassion and empathy, and is a confidante to me no matter what I need to talk about, and no matter what time of day it is. She is supportive of me in everything I do, and helps me achieve everything I want to do. She is smart and ambitious, and has excelled in every job she’s had, while raising me and my siblings. (I have to say she did a great job. My siblings and I are pretty decent people, if I do say so myself). 

my friends

My friends are some of the most impressive people I know. They’re my personal cheerleaders, accepting me for who I am while encouraging me to improve. They’ve been there for me through the highs, lows, and everything in between. Honestly, I’m amazed by them:

A plays the violin, guitar, harp and cello – and she can play them all beautifully. Her artistic talents blow me out of the water – her paintings are beautiful and her drawings are full of life. She runs a small business in graphic design, is an intern for a court Judge, and a full time student working towards her dream. 

J is a business owner who is extremely successful – she works as a lash technician, and runs her own teaching program as well. She is also the President of one of York’s clubs, the Vice President of another, and an active member of a number of other clubs. She volunteers at a food bank, works at a law clinic while for the LSATs, and is currently on track to earn her bachelor’s degree as a full time student.  

M is a triple threat: she can sing, play guitar, and she’s an actress. She’s been in a couple commercials among other things, and is an incredibly talented woman all around. She’s also brilliant, earning incredible grades with well written and smart papers as she works her way towards a bachelor’s degree. 

G volunteers at a foodbank, and also tutors kids. She’s also a full time student working towards her bachelor’s, and doing very well at it. Plus, she’s probably the reason I’m not failing a specific one of my classes – without her, I probably wouldn’t even go (if any of my professors are reading this, I am just kidding).

my campus correspondent

Ok, my campus correspondent Riya is a very impressive person. She heads up our chapter of Her Campus, and deals with everything from publishing articles to expanding our audience, facilitating team building activities, and acts as a head editor. On top of her achievements at Her Campus, she is an incredible person as well. Kind and understanding, Riya has always been there to support me. She’s the one who deals with me and my late or missing articles (sorry about that!!) and has never given me trouble for it. When I told her I needed to take a couple months off due to personal circumstances, she was super supportive. Plus, she checked in with me after a couple months to see how I was doing, and if I wanted to return to writing. I know you’re reading this right now, so thanks for everything. 

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but unfortunately I have a word count to hit and a deadline to meet. To everyone mentioned in this list, and to all the women in my life that I didn’t mention, I want to say thank you. 

On this International Women’s Day, let’s remind the incredible women in our lives how much we appreciate them – because they deserve to hear it. 

Eliana Alexandroff is a writer for Her Campus, with the York University chapter. She writes articles of varying topics, depending on what inspiration strikes her with. Beyond her role at Her Campus, Eliana is in pursuit of her bachelor’s degree of Social Work, with a minor in Professional Writing. In her free time, Eliana enjoys listening to music and watching television shows, spending time with her close friends, and adding to her ever growing list of books to read. Her favorite singers are Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift, she has seen The Office and Bones more times than she can count and drinks way too much coffee for her own good.