The New TV Shows You Need To Watch This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Although many TV shows premiere in the fall, there are always a few shows that wait until winter to premiere their pilot episodes. This winter, there is a good-looking crop of new TV series that will be, or have already, premiered. From comedies to re-boots to crime shows, there’s at least one new show for everyone to enjoy.

Roswell, New Mexico

Developed by talented former writer of The Originals Carina Adly Mackenzie, Roswell, New Mexico is not only a show about aliens, it also has a political aspect to it. Plus, this show’s wonderful cast is very diverse which is something our TV screens definitely need. Roswell, New Mexico also scored actors from all your favorite shows: Greys Anatomy, Pretty Little Liars, The Vampire Diaries, and The Originals. One thing to note is that it is not a continuation of the 1999-2001 TV show Roswell and instead brings brand new characters and storylines to our screens. It premieres January 15th and I, for one, am very excited to watch it.

Photo via IMDb

Deadly Class

This show is based on a graphic novel of the same name and is set in the 1980s. It’s about a homeless teen who gets recruited to a secret academy where he has to fight for survival every single day. People who have read the comics (and even those who haven’t) will love the show as it has some stereotypical teenage fiction characteristics but with a dark twist. Starring Benjamin Wadsworth and the lovely Lana Condor (To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before), Deadly Class is sure to be a hit.

Photo via IMDb

Fam

Fam is a new comedy set to premiere on January 17th starring Nina Dobrev (The Vampire Diaries)  and Tone Bell as newly engaged couple Clem and Nick. Clem and Nick end up taking in Clem’s teenage half-sister who is out of control. This show seems like it’s going to be a cute comedy that looks at different family dynamics and relationships. If you feel like trying out a lighter show that’ll make you giggle, give Fam a try.

Photo via IMDb

You

Although You aired back in September, it’s the perfect show to binge watch this winter in between studying and work. You is a thrilling series starring Penn Badgley from Gossip Girl, in which his character Joe begins an obsession with grad student Beck, to the point where he’ll do just about anything to be with her. This series will keep you on your toes with its twists and turns that you’ll ask yourself if Joe even is that bad of a guy(*spoiler alert* yes, he most definitely is)! All episodes are currently available to watch on Netflix and we should be getting a season 2 next fall.

Photo via IMDb

Whiskey Cavalier

Set to premiere on February 27th, Whiskey Cavalier is a somewhat comedic crime show. It’s about an FBI agent and a CIA agent who butt heads on a case but end up becoming partners. It has a similar vibe to Castle but with spies. Starring Scott Foley (Scandal) and Lauren Cohan (Supernatural), Whiskey Cavalier is looking like it could be interesting if it brings new storylines and good character development to our screens.

Photo via IMDb

Hopefully, you’ll love all or at least one of these new TV shows. I’m definitely hoping that these shows have interesting stories to tell that will keep viewers intrigued throughout their first season.

Melissa is a fifth-year student in Communications and Psychology at Glendon College (York University). She enjoys reading, writing, going shopping and watching reality television shows with her friends. Her dream is to work in entertainment PR and to live in London, England.   
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.