My Summer 2018 Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

I love summertime because it’s the perfect time to read the many books that end up on my reading list through the school year. I get quite a bit of reading done over the winter break, but the summertime is the perfect time to really make a dent in my list. I love sitting outside in the sun, or bringing a book to the beach or when I go camping. I make a book list for myself every year, and this year I decided to share my book list with you. So if you’re a bookworm like me, keep reading to see what books I’ve selected this year!

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood

I have wanted to read Alias Grace ever since I saw the announcement of the TV series at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) back in September. I had gotten the book for Christmas in the hopes I’d read it in the Winter Break, but the book was larger than I had expected so I ended up reading Call Me by Your Name instead, another book I got for Christmas. I’m happy to finally get a chance to read this book this Summer.

The Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II by Denise Kiernan

It’s not uncommon for me to pick a book that takes place during WWII to be on my list. I love period pieces. Last summer the historical fiction I read was All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr and it was amazing. I love the history, so when I found his book I thought it was perfect. I was even more sold by the fact that it’s based on interviews of real people recounting a true event. What makes it even better, is that when I went to Chapters to find books, it was part of the table dedicated to celebrating International Women’s Day!

Difficult Women by Roxane Gay

This was another book that was a part of the International Women’s Day display at Chapters. The title is the thing that first got my attention, and the reviews I read had me even more sold. Just check a few of them out on Goodreads. I read the first two pages before purchasing, and I definitely look forward to reading it this summer.

Enigma Variations by André Aciman

Over the winter break I read Call My By Your Name by André Aciman and I really loved his writing style. I decided to add Enigma Variations to my book list because I was curious to read other works by André Aciman.

The Life and Death of Sophie Stark by Anna North

Anna North is a fairly new author, and The Life and Death of Sophie Stark (her second book) came out in 2015. I first bought the book in 2015 as it stuck out to me when I was book shopping. At the time, I had a lot of other books to read, so unfortunately, this book has been sitting on my bookshelf for the past two years or so. I decided this summer I’d finally read it, as the reviews for it have all been positive, and I’ve been interested in this book for a while.

Struggles of a Dreamer by Yahaya Baruwa

Back in January, while I was shopping at Chapters in Barrie, Yahaya Baruwa was selling and signing copies of his book. He welcomed me when I walked into the store, so I decided to go over to him and have him tell me about his book. I later found out that Yahaya is a graduate student at York University, so automatically we started talking about school. I told him I was a filmmaker and that I too like to write, and I bought a copy of his book that he signed for me. He was very nice and I’m excited to finally get a chance to read his book this summer.

Ruin and Beauty by Patricia Young

I always pick a few poetry books to read during the summer. Last summer I read three, so this summer I picked just one to add to my list. I found this book at a thrift store, and I thought it would be the perfect poetry book to read this summer.

Talking As Fast As I Can by Lauren Graham

I’ve never been one to read biographies. But this year, I decided to give them a try. I decided Lauren Graham’s Talking As Fast As I Can was the perfect biography to start with as I am a huge Gilmore Girls fan. Plus, my mom already owned the book so I saved myself some money and/or a trip to the library.

I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

I have always wanted to read this book and when I found saw it at BMV and the price was right, I bought it. Again, it’s another biography because I really want to read more.

The Waves by Virginia Woolf

I also found this book at BMV for a good price. I’ve always wanted to check out Virginia Woolf’s writings and I thought now was the perfect time.

For those of you who may be curious, I decided to also share with you my Summer 2017 book list.

1. The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton

2. Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

3. The Nest by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney

4. Still Alice by Lisa Genova

5. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

6. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

7. Whiskey Words and a Shovel by r.h Sin

8. A Beautiful Composition of Broken by r.h Sin

9. Born to Love Cursed to Feel by Samantha King

So for all you bookworms, I hope you enjoyed learning about my book list for this summer. There’s a lot of great books that I’m excited to be reading this summer and I hope you all are too. Happy reading everyone!

All photos courtesy of Averie Severs.

Averie Severs is one of the Her Campus CC's for the York U chapter. She is a film production major with a focus in documentary filmmaking. 
Sam is a Cinema & Media Studies student at York University. She is passionate about LGBTQ+ issues, mental health, and intersectional feminism. She loves dogs and grilled cheese and knows way too much about pop culture.