Big 3 Astrology?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Big 3 Astrology?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

My Journey Through Astrology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Everybody begs the answer to the question: Why was I put on this planet, on a specific date, at a specific time, in a specific place? My mom always said, “Because God said so.” Well, mom, that answer explains absolutely nothing. 

I was like most of the population during the pandemic. I downloaded TikTok and got sucked into the “astrology girlie” lifestyle. It gave me a craving to see what’s really behind that question. I am NO professional, but my research included diving into the depths of my birth chart, figuring it out, and seeing how the planets gave me my personality.

Astrology History 101: It’s not the quirky blurb you read in a magazine telling you about your love life or future career success. Astrology encompasses much more than that. It guides our actions and allows us to see – with math, how the planets at the time we were born created our personality. Just like the sun and moon, the planets also dictate our “vibes,” not just what Gilmore Girls character you are. The month you were born explains what planet you align with, the sign that it corresponds with, and how it works in the grand scheme of things. 

For all you astrology rats, you know the drill. For the pals that aren’t too sure, you start with the bare minimum. Birthday, birth time, and place of birth. Simple right? Now let’s get into it. We all have something called the big three: sun, moon, and ascendant (more commonly called “rising”). Our sun sign is our main sign, the sign most of our qualities relate to. Our moon sign dictates our emotions and how we cope with conflict, more importantly, the position the moon was on when we were born. Lastly, our ascendant/rising tells us the “mask” we wear, or what people perceive us as. 

When I looked into mine, I was like “This is stupid”. And let me tell you, the results did not disappoint. My big three are Libra sun, Scorpio moon, and Cancer rising. I did not know what to do with this information at first, and to be honest, did not know how it fits into my life. Reading deeper into my birth chart, the dots started to connect and I had my euphoric breakthrough moment.

Your birth chart paints a picture of your destiny. A good astrology pal of mine educated me more on this, and I cannot thank her ENOUGH for that cause I would be lost. It answered so many questions I had for myself and allowed me to visualize what parts of my life didn’t make sense. Obviously, we know we were made for a reason, so reading into it helped me get closer to the question I originally posed. 

Breaking down my chart with my Astro pal taught me so much. As a Libra, and my fellow Librans know, we can’t make a decision to save our lives. This made me aware of how my decision-less decisions can affect my mental health and how it affected my confidence. As a Scorpio moon, I bottle up my emotions until I explode, which is a not-so-healthy way to deal. With my rising in Cancer, I am very emotional and tend to care more for others than myself. Knowing these qualities about myself enabled me to see where I could make changes to my own life and destiny. Cliche, right? 

Knowing how these factors affected my own personality, I had the tools to understand my personality and break through those “stereotypes” each sign has. Our cosmic imprint guides us through life and can allow us to see ourselves in a different light than usual. Whether you believe it or not, it is interesting to see how your signs interact with elements in your life. It can add a layer of depth to your life that you did not know of, and help you gain full access to your personality. 

Hero Copy
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

Now, the journey is up to you. If you wish to do a deep dive into your life, use trusted sources such as this. Another site that’s great is this one. Be open-minded and ready to listen because you will act as Sherlock Holmes, literally investigating your personality. One of the first articles I read for an in-depth experience was by Anna Svoboda, and I recommend you give it a read to understand their insight on the experience. If you are really unsure, you can consult a natal chart reader or an astrologer to help guide you through it!

Pals, if you enter this journey, I wish you good luck and good vibes. I hope you discover something great about yourselves and even if you see some ugly truths, embrace them. 

Melena is a first-generation Italian Canadian from Vaughan, Ontario. She is a fourth year student York University in the Business & Society program. Although she has not been an avid writer, she joined Her Campus to connect with people about their past experiences, as they are what shape the person you can also become and help you learn and grow in your own life. Some of Melena's other interests are Star Wars and Marvel (she is a huge nerd), listening to Harry Styles, and spending time with her loved ones.