My Favorite Romance Movies: “Hopeless Romantic” Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

The adoration I have for romance movies is incomparable. Romance movies make me laugh. They make me smile. They make me cry. They bring me a sense of comfort.

There is nothing better than being curled up in a blanket for one, eating a bowl of popcorn and watching movies. Actually, let me rephrase: *There is nothing better than being curled up in a blanket for one, eating a bowl of popcorn and watching romance movies.* And the best part is, no special occasions are needed. But with Valentine’s Day fast approaching, this article pays homage to my top three favorite romance movies plus an honorable mention…which I can proudly say I can quote lines from too!

legally blonde icky valentines day?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
MGM

Thank you to these movies that have brought the greatest love stories to the big screen! And thank you (in the most sarcastic way possible) for representing romantic relationships in such an unrealistic, unobtainable way; setting bars WAY too high and often making our realities feel like UTTER DISAPPOINTMENT.

An Honourable Mention: Roman Holiday

Set in Rome, also known as the Eternal city, this film paints the scene for the main characters whose love story will breed eternal memories. Featuring the the iconic Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn, this movie did not have the fairytale ending everyone wishes for. Two different people who live different lives but cross paths for one moment in time. A crushing, yet realistic ending that shows the remains of utter devotion – the female protagonist proclaims her love for Rome (a.k.a. the male protagonist). “Rome, by all means Rome.” If you love someone, you have to let them go. 

#3: Notting Hill

A story set in the charming landmark of Notting Hill, this film also focuses on the lives of two very different people who cross paths. How can a British bookstore owner and a famous American actress ever make the perfect match? But in the end, the question is answered by the most iconic line of the film: “Don’t forget, I’m just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.” Sounds so simple, right? Regardless, everything about this film is absolutely enchanting and this quote has inspired me to never be afraid to speak my deepest, most vulnerable truths.

#2: titanic

There are never enough words to describe the symbolism of this film. This timeless love story between a first class  and third class passenger on a doomed ship is in everyone’s good books. The fate of the ship happens so quickly, and so does the love story between Jack and Rose. Two people who come from different worlds, but form an everlasting connection that is unlike no other, which cannot be broken even when their souls fleet in two different locations. “Jack, I’m flying”. I’ve learned that there will be that one person that makes you feel like you’re flying. He may not be Jack Dawson, but resemble something just as close.

wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

#1: The Notebook

The lost love, the love in memory, the enduring love. This film has it all. Noah and Allie. A summer romance that starts with a promise – “If you’re a bird, I’m a bird”- and ends with that promise falling apart at the seams. And then, as we see Noah and Allie move on with their lives through deaths of family members and new engagements, time continuously proves to be felt. Timing after all, is one of the trickiest battles. Their love story is perfectly messy – there is always never enough time, so much lost time, and the classic idea of right person but wrong timing. Isn’t it all worth it sometimes? The love story between Noah and Allie taught me that the idea that true love (better yet enduring love) will never pass you by. 

May these movies help cure the hostility we feel towards disappointment. While I agree that the portrayal of love stories are not necessarily realistic, it’s the lessons I learn from these stories that make me (sorta) have faith in what people’s hearts have to offer. After all, love is the closest thing we have to magic.

P.S.:

“The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds” – The Notebook 

P.P.S.:

These movies are a must watch.

Sofia is a part time writer at Her Campus for York University. Branching under the sectors of life and culture, Sofia likes to write about her experiences and inspirations, that shape the person she is, and wants to be. She loves to write because it demonstrates her creativity and allows her to connect with other people. Writing is her favourite form of communication because words on paper hold so much meaning, and she hopes to give that to readers. Beyond Her Campus, Sofia works for the City of Vaughan, where she instructs recreational programs for children and youth. She enjoys working with children and youth because learning from them is both a humbling and rewarding experience. Sofia completed her undergraduate studies, majoring in Children, Childhood & Youth Studies, and minoring in Sociology. She is currently in her first year in the Bachelor of Education Program, as a teacher candidate. Aside from writing, Sofia enjoys reading romance novels and watching movies in her free time. Always ready for adventures, she loves discovering new restaurants in Downtown Toronto and enjoys going for walks. But most importantly, spending time with family, friends, and her dog Léo are what brings her the most joy.