This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Whether you need a break from the stress of studying or gift hunting, or you’re just looking for a way to keep busy while you wait for your food to get delivered, game apps are a great answer to your problem. I’ve listed below some of the best (and most addictive) game apps out there to help you de-stress and kill boredom!

Love Nikki

Source: Elex

Love Nikki is deceptively simple at first glance, but trust me, there’s more to it than meets the eye. You play a character named Nikki whose goal is like that of Ash Ketchum’s, but instead of trying to catch Pokémon and make your way to the top, you’re trying to get all the outfits you can to beat your foes in different “style-offs.” It may seem a little silly, but once you start getting the hang of it, it sucks you in. The app is free to download on iOS and Android, but does have in-game purchases, though you never have to buy anything to still have fun and progress throughout the story.

Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp

Source: Nintendo

The app version of Animal Crossing is rather new, but it’s already gaining traction, with even celebs like Chrissy Teigen playing! The app is basically platform Animal Crossing-Lite, but is still really fun. Your goal is to complete various tasks so you can create items and customize your campsite and trailer, all while making friends with the anthropomorphic animals and other players. The game does come with in-app purchases, but you don’t need to buy anything to further your character. It’s available for free on iTunes App Store and Google Play.

Episode

Source: Episode Interactive

This game may not be the most refined, but it’s a great time killer! You get to pick from a large selection of original “episodes” or ones made by other players, where you can then customize your own character and make your way through the story. You’re given many decisions to make that can alter the outcome of the plot for you, which keeps it fresh and interesting. As well, Episode has even teamed up with some well-known movie franchises (Mean Girls, Pitch Perfect, Clueless) and celebs (Demi Lovato, the Dolan Twins) for extra cool stories to try out. There are in-app purchases available, but they’re not vital for playing! You can grab it for free on both iOS and Android.  

Neko Atsume

Source: Hit Point Co., Ltd. 

The ultimate of the ultimate chill games, Neko Atsume is probably the cutest way to destress. You’re given an environment and all you have to do is make it appealing to cats through food and toys! Check back every few minutes after setting everything up and soon cats will be swarming and leaving you presents to pay for more items. If you want to spice it up a bit, you can try to “collect” every type of cat and even take a picture of them for your gallery! Like the other games listed, Neko Atsume does have in-game purchases, but they’re not necessary for a fulfilling experience. You can grab it from the iTunes App Store or Google Play for free.

Pocket Mortys

Source: Adult Swim

If you like Pokémon and/or Rick and Morty, this game is definitely for you! Your goal is to try to win as many battles as you can with different versions of Morty to then go on to eventually beat the main bosses, the Council of Ricks. It’s very similar to the platform Pokémon games, but set in the Rick and Morty universe where instead of catching and battling Pokémon, you use Mortys. It’s a mobile gaming app that isn’t afraid to test you or make you work for your goal, so it’s definitely a great time killer! Pocket Mortys now even includes an online multiplayer version! It does include in-game purchases, but they aren’t necessary. You can find it on iOS and Android for free!

There are tons of mobile game apps out there, but with a market that seems over-saturated, it can be hard to find the perfect game. Hopefully one of these suggestions can do the trick, and help you relax and/or make waiting around a little more bearable!

Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.