This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

You know those moments or those times when the excitement just isn’t there? Sometimes life makes it hard for us to want to keep going. In spite of your way, certain things are common in life, like the ups and downs, the excitement and the sadness, the boredom and the business. But to really enjoy our lives, we need to learn to live beyond these variables of life. There are moments when life won’t be exciting, moments when life won’t be busy, moments when life won’t be what we may want it to be and we just feel out of sorts. It may even seem absurd because we may not be able to provide any explicit reason for our state of mind at that point except that it is just what it is. A quote from the realrebelpodcast says, “Zoom out. All the way out. Give yourself some space to breathe. A moment to steady your footing. You need not always feel powerful. You’re going to be ok. More than ok.”

Sunset Ocean Beach Sky Evening
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

Our feelings and emotions will always be part of us but we do not need to let them control or rule our lives. It is bound to happen that such moments will be part of our lives, so the question is, how do we respond to it? Do we just sit there and go into oblivion and lose all reason to live our lives? As the saying goes after all, life goes on and the least we can do is live our lives as best as we can. So, if you feel out of sorts, give yourself a way to feel more put together. If you do not feel busy, give yourself a task.

Molly Peach-Binoculars
Molly Peach / Her Campus

Life won’t always be exciting. Sometimes life just keeps happening and you just don’t feel the excitement of it or the vibe of it and more often than not, because of how attached we are to our feelings, we just tend to go with the flow. As difficult as it is, it isn’t impossible to live beyond our feelings. These moments actually aren’t all bad, we learn a lot during times like this. We learn to value more, we see things in places or people we thought were empty and in a way we just gain more insight.

Woman smiling
Matthew Hamilton
At the end of the day, let’s do our best to live our best lives. After all, it’s the first time for all of us, our first and last lives.

I’m Bernice Danjuma, first year student at York University. I’m from Nigeria .I recently moved to canada to further my education and I’m a proud member of her campus!
Averie Severs is one of the Her Campus CC's for the York U chapter. She is a film production major with a focus in documentary filmmaking.