Culture > News

It’s Official: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are Moving!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are moving (and here’s everything you need to know)!

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing to leave the British Royal Family and will split their time between the UK and Canada. Recently, the family of three spent an extended time off in the Vancouver area. It’s been reported that, while Prince Harry is in the United Kingdom to talk about his and Meghan’s future, the Duchess is back in Vancouver with their eight month old son, Archie Mountbatten-Windsor.

A post shared by ????? & ?????? ♔ (@dukeandduchessofsussexdaily) on

Back in November, the couple announced that they were taking time off from royal duties. Immediately, reports speculated on whether they would spend the holidays in the United Kingdom, at their home of Frogmore Cottage, or in Los Angeles, where the Duchess grew up. The actual answer was Canada, Vancouver Island to be specific. The Duke and Duchess were spotted there multiple times over their break. Other than spending time outdoors, the couple enjoyed the local community’s food offerings and dined at various restaurants. Overall, it certainly seems like the couple enjoyed themselves away from the pressure of tabloids. 

Five days after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s bombshell announcement that they would “step back” as senior royals, the Queen, Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince Harry all met to hash out the couple’s future (Meghan Markle dialed in from Canada). Queen Elizabeth has since then released her official statement on her feelings about the Duke and Duchess’ move. She mentions her acceptance of their right to privacy but is also said to be privy to the idea that they will renounce all Royal Family responsibilities. The rest is currently still a private matter of the Royal Family.

The Royals took to Instagram to reveal to the audience of their official move. “After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution,” they wrote. “Please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.”

A post shared by The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (@sussexroyal) on

In fact, it seems that they’re only poised to get more popular. While the couple will be part of fewer public appearances and official portraits, expect more from their Instagram. Their new website states that they will be opting out of the “Royal Rota” system, which means that they will be able to release more photos directly on social media. “They believe that their updated media approach will enable them to share more with you, directly,” the website explains. The world wants to keep up with Harry and Meghan, and that’s about to get a lot easier.

So how will things change? For starters, the Duke and Duchess will likely get more privacy. As they implied in their statement, their new North American base won’t be a highly publicized one like Frogmore Cottage. “This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter,” they said.

Tim Hortons recently tweeted an incentive for the Duke and Duchess, stating if they move to Canada, they will be rewarded with free coffee for life!

Whether the Duke and Duchess live in Canada part-time or decide to move here indefinitely, Canada will welcome them with open arms.

Just your average girl writing about some above average content 
Kaitlin is a bilingual (French and English) writer originating from friendly Thunder Bay. They are in their seventh year at York University, where they study professional writing with an emphasis on journalism. They live with their partner of nine years and their cat, Tessa. They started writing with a passion and a poem that eventually won third in a contest 12 years ago, and started editing not too long after. When not at the keyboard, Kaitlin can be found reading, cooking, playing video games, or holding Tessa. Their favorite movies are scary and their favorite television genre is reality. Kaitlin's passions include copyediting, anything scary or spooky and adding to her collection of dolls, magnets and cups. Their favorite part of writing/editing is giving others a chance to share their story or achieve their dreams and offering insight on "the little things." Some of Kaitlin's favorite topics reflect on their personal life, including health/disabilities, fringe topics and social issues.