bookstore display
bookstore display
Original photo by Francesca Ceresoli

Interesting Books For People Who Don’t Like Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Walking into a bookstore and thinking—–there is way too much to choose from, this book is too long, this plot seems too complex, these books seem boring —– is all too common. These thoughts take people further away from wanting to purchase books. Also, preferring films over books is all too common. Film plots appear to be more attention-grabbing and exciting. There are books that can solve these worries. They are interesting, mind-capturing and perfect for people who don’t like reading, but want to start. 

Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O’Neill

Fans of HBO’s “Euphoria” will love this book. Lullabies for Little Criminals follows the coming of age of a girl named Baby through ages 8-13. Baby grows up in an impoverished neighbourhood and moves apartment-to-apartment with her drug-addicted father. Readers are introduced to Baby as an 8 year old girl who lacks clothes, friends, food and guardianship. Eventually, she makes friends and is introduced to the poverty in her low-income Montreal town. Craving love desperately, Baby is eventually exposed to the worlds of foster homes, drugs, alcohol, stealing, prostitution and age-inappropriate relationships. This book is fast-paced and definitely a page-turner.

Similar movies and shows: Movies “Eighth Grade”, “Thirteen”  and TV show “Euphoria.”

The Killer Across the Table by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker

In this book, two former FBI investigators, who inspired Netflix’s “Mindhunter” detail their interviews with notorious serial killers and criminals such as Charles Manson, the “BTK Killer” and “Son of Sam.” The book explores word-for-word transcripts of interviews, as well as professional analysis of the killers’ childhoods, motives and other aspects of their twisted minds. This book is fast-paced, mind-bending and makes readers think of mental health and childhood differently. Fans of horror films and serial killer documentaries will love this read. 

Similar movies: “Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile”, “My Friend Dahmer”, “Abducted in Plain Sight” and “Mommy Dead and Dearest.”

The Whole Golden World, by Kristina Riggle

Riggle’s novel follows the sexual affair between a male high school math teacher and his female teenage student. The book flips between the perspectives of the girl, the teacher, the girl’s mother and the teacher’s wife. The book also goes back and forth through time, starting out in the courtroom where the teacher is being charged and goes back in time from there. Riggle exposes issues of predatory relationships, low self esteem and confidence, toxic masculinity loneliness and dysfunctional marriages.

Similar movies and shows: Movies “American Beauty”, “Lolita” and TV show “A Teacher.”

Beach Read, by Emily Henry 

This book follows a female author who, after her father’s death, finds out that he had a secret girlfriend. During this emotional turmoil, she moves to her father’s old beach house to figure out her next book. While at the beach house, she meets her neighbour who is a male author who also has writer’s block. Love, anxiety, adventure and reflection soon follows the ain character. 

Similar movies: “Mamma Mia”, “Eat, Pray, Love” and “Love Actually.”

And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie

Anyone who doesn’t like reading but wants to dive into a well-known classic will really enjoy this one. This book is about a group of people sent to a deserted island house promised work. The group soon realizes that their employer and their boat is gone. Soon, group members are found murdered, one by one. The group attempts to figure out who among them is the murderer and is pretending to be innocent. One by one, as group members die, the group gets smaller and tensions rise as the murderer is one of the few left. This book has very little description and is mostly dialogue, making this book a quick read and leaves readers to solve the mystery, ending with a huge plot twist.

Similar movies and shows: “Get Out”, “Us”, and TV show “The Haunting of Bly Manor.”

Reading does not have to be a chore. Reading is transporting, uplifting and a vivid view of the broad world around us. After years of schoolwork, reading deserves to be something looked forward to and cherished. After years of being bored by reading, not wanting to read, or only reading for school, everyone deserves to enjoy reading. Sitting on your bed, in front of a beach, quietly with friends is no longer something mundane when involving books. These books are simple, quick and surprising. 

Francesca Ceresoli is a part time writer at the Her Campus York University chapter. She covers entertainment and culture, experiences and wellness. She is pursuing her second year of Bachelor of Education in the intermediate/senior divisions, with subject areas in english and social science. She aspires to teach high school and eventually, post-secondary education. She is currently writing a short story collection and a novel. She is interested in writing about themes of nature, ecofeminism and psychological dramas. During her free time, Francesca loves doing yoga, playing with her dog, spending time with her friends, and the show Desperate Housewives.
Feimoon is in her fourth and final year as an undergraduate student at York University, majoring in Communication Studies. She is passionate about traveling, fashion, beauty, writing and spreading positivity. She is now an Alumni of Delta Psi Delta, and past President. Now she focuses on being a Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus York University chapter!