Wellness > Sex + Relationships

If You’re Single and Feeling Lonely on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

It’s that time year again– red and pink decorations fill the windows of your favourite shops, your friends are talking about their cute valentine’s day plans, and soon enough your social media will be flooded with images of happy couples. For those in relationships, this romantic holiday is a way to show appreciation to their significant others. But if you’re single, this day can be quite difficult. You can’t help but start to feel alone because you don’t have a special someone to share this day with.

Photo by Tyler Nix via Unsplash

But just because you are not in a relationship, doesn’t mean you should feel sad or lonely. Valentine’s day is more than just a day to celebrate romantic love, it’s a day to celebrate all love – whether it’s the love you have for your friends, your family, or any other people in your life. Regardless of where it’s coming from, that love is just as meaningful.  It’s a day to appreciate, say thanks, and show others how much we care about them.

And while seeing everyone else’s love stories can make you feel as though you are unloved, try to love yourself a little more. The relationship you have yourself is one of the most important relationships to have. No one can ever know us better than ourselves so it’s essential to make the time and effort to understand and work towards the things that make us truly happy. Remember not to let others or your relationship status make you feel any less about yourself and how great you are.

Photo by Simon Maage via Unsplash

So, Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a sad day if you’re single. Focus on all of the love that you do have in your life. Focus on all of the people that love and care for you each and every day, who support you, and are always there for you when you need it, because that love is just as important. Don’t let this one day of the year make you like you are unloved or alone, because you aren’t. Happy Valentine’s Day, wishing you a day full of self love and lots of chocolate xo

Photo by freestocks.org

Lian Griesi

York U '19

.