“I Love You Because…”: A Love Letter to My Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

In honor of Valentine’s Day being recently celebrated, here’s a love letter to the person I love the most: my little sister. 

As an older sister, no one tells you how bittersweet it is to see your sibling grow up and become a beautiful human being. One day, they’re small and squishy-cheeked. The next day, they’re tall and wise and giving you life advice. While it’s bittersweet to some extent, it’s also an honor to be able to grow up alongside a sibling. 

As a child, when people assure you that you and your sibling “will be the best of friends someday,” it never makes any sense. How could that be possible when your sibling is so much younger (or so much older)? When you’re a kid, an age gap of only a few years feels massive. Exhibit A: When I was a mature, silly-bandz-wearing 6 year old, my sister was a woman of very few words (she was also 2 years old).

As much as I denied the possibility of being best friends, it came to pass and let me tell you something; I am so glad that it did. I have gained the absolute best friend in the whole entire world. 

I have also gained a soulmate.

Sister, I have loved you since the day you were born – when my wish for a baby brother went unanswered  – and I will love you until we’re old and gray (and potentially very cranky).

I love you because you’re a best friend who I’ll carry through life. I’ll never be alone as long as you’re in this world. 

I love you because I can be my most authentic self with you. No one sees me during my highs, lows or craziest moments. No one but you.

I love you because you’re honest, sometimes brutally so. Nobody else can tell me that my outfit looks wild – but you… Your guidance means the world to me.

I love you because you know me better than me! It is an immense blessing to be known so deeply.

I love you because we exist on the same wavelength. We can make eye contact and come to an understanding almost immediately. We can speak aloud and say the exact same thing without thinking. You and I are one and the same.

I love you because we have inside jokes that span our entire lives. Must I expand on this? All I can say is that it’s a grand old time.

I love you because you work so hard. You can do anything and everything that you set your mind to. It’s amazing to see.

I love you because we’re always on the same page. Music taste: impeccable. Book taste: even better. Bonding with you is my favorite pastime.

I love you because we can actually forgive and forget. We can be at each other’s throats one second and then best friends the next. The joy of being sisters.

I love you because you inspire me to be the best version of myself. Your calm nature, compassion, infinite wisdom, and ability to remain grounded inspire me every single day. 

I love you because you are my protector. For such a peaceful person, you can be feisty when it counts. Thank you for only ever wanting the best for me.

I love you because you make me laugh harder than anyone I’ve never known. You are insane in the best way possible.

I love you because the simplest things become the most outrageously fun when we’re together, whether it be grocery shopping, exercising or just sitting on the couch next to each other.

I love you for a million other reasons, but for the sake of keeping this short and sweet, we’ll end it at lucky number 13.

Sisterhood isn’t solely about having a biological sister. You can absolutely choose a sister. If I had a choice, I would choose you in every life, little sister.

Isabella (Bella) De Zilva is a part-time writer at the Her Campus at the York University chapter. Bella is interested in a wide range of topics, ranging from Wellness, to Fashion, as well as Life and Love. Aside from Her Campus, Bella is a full-time student at York University and is on-track to graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in the upcoming years. She has a variety of work experience, though nothing related to writing at the moment. Her most interesting work experience was acting as a TikTok influencer for a period of time. Her account (@booktokoclock) was trending on BookTok – a sector of TikTok which specializes in books and book recommendations. This connected her to well-known authors, such as Kendall Ryan, and well-established companies such as Penguin Teen and Book Of The Month. In Bella’s free time, she can be found curled up on the couch with a book in-hand. Her favourite genre is, and will always be, that of Romance. It’s a necessity to any books she reads. If she isn’t found with her nose in a book, Bella can be found doing one of many things: exercising, journaling, listening to music or podcasts, hanging out with her loved ones or trying new things.