This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

With fall already settling in, it’s time to pack away that summer wardrobe and bring in the parka-or is it? Seasonal progression often entices us to make more purchases dedicated to those changes, especially when it comes to clothing. Fashion brands seem to have a new collection every other week, encouraging consumers to spend more money.

Although some extra layers are necessary for a Canadian winter, there are infinite ways to reuse and reinvent summer clothing in the colder seasons. Here are five summer items that also work well in the fall.

Little Black Dress

There’s nothing more basic and reliable than a little black dress. Whether it’s dressed down with sneakers or dressed up with a pair of heels, it always comes through.

This satin black mini dress fits like a glove while being suspiciously comfortable. This piece inspired this idea. I love it too much to shove it away in my basement full of summer clothes. I also couldn’t keep it in my already-full closet without purpose. Keeping this clothing item alive forced me to think more creatively. 

I paired my dress with a sweater and nylons to create a cozier outfit. Pairing it with a black sweater and black nylons creates a classy, monochromatic look.

Woman poses in a black dress in front of a white background.
Original photo by Lenna Kapetaneas
Woman poses in black long sleeved dress in front of a white background.
Original photo by Lenna Kapetaneas
Palazzo PantsTitle

Lightweight palazzo pants were all the rage this summer. Despite their comfort and ease, this style of pants makes any outfit look fancier. 

In the summer, I’d usually pair them with a tank top or crop top. In the fall, wearing a  turtleneck and trench coat adds extra warmth. In any outfit, turtlenecks and trench coats complement each other. The flared leg structure of the pants along with the length of the coat makes anyone look seven feet tall. 

Side note- warm-toned colors work well in both warm and cold months!

Woman poses in beige top and pants in front of a white backhround.
Original photo by Lenna Kapetaneas
Woman poses in a black top, beige pants and a brown coat in front of a white background.
Original photo by Lenna Kapetaneas
Lightweight Button-Up

Button-ups are the perfect cover up for summer. They’re airy enough to not cause overheating and they elevate the appearance of an outfit. In the summer outfit below, all I’m wearing is a bralette and a denim skirt. Adding the button-up adds an extra element and detail.  The button-up below has a ruffled sleeve detail. 

For fall, layering clothes is a must. Not only is it functional as it adds extra warmth, it also looks dapper. Button-ups are a perfect layering piece because of their collars. 
The fall look unintentionally gives off dark academia vibes. The sleeves of the shirt makes  for fun layering. The multi-zippered back jeans and black sweater make for a moody look, especially with the layered collar.

Woman poses in a black crop top, a white blouse and a jean skirt in front of a white background.
Original photo by Lenna Kapetaneas
Woman poses in a black sweater over a white blouse and black pants.
Original photo by Lenna Kapetaneas
Mom Jeans

Although most millennials are mourning the near obsoleteness of skinny jeans, mom jeans are taking their place. Perhaps it’s because of their comfort, or their effortless appearance. Either way, they’ve grown increasingly popular. 

Since mom jeans are such a basic staple, they essentially match with anything. 

For autumn, adding a blazer makes a pair of jeans more weather appropriate. Given the fact that mom jeans and blazers have essentially become the uniform for models off duty, the duo is definitely on-trend right now. 

The blazer below is slightly oversized and structured which makes it realistically semi-formal. Pairing it with jeans gives it a more casual vibe.

Woman poses in a black top and blue jeans.
Original photo by Lenna Kapetaneas
A woman poses in a black top, blue jeans and a black and white jacket.
Original photo by Lenna Kapetaneas
Graphic T-Shirts

Although I don’t know one AC/DC song, I wear the shirt like I do. This is my favorite graphic t-shirt. It can be worn with anything and still look cool. 

Layering a turtleneck underneath a graphic t-shirt not only makes it look more edgy, but it’s also practical for fall. I’m not sure how or why this became a trend as it vaguely reminds me of something my mom would force me to wear outside as a child so I wouldn’t catch a cold, but nonetheless, it works. To keep in line with the edginess of the look, I wore a pair of off-white leather pants.

A woman poses in an ACDC t-shirt and black shorts.
Original photo by Lenna Kapetaneas
A woman poses in an ACDC t-shirt over a white long sleeve with neutral toned pants.
Original photo by Lenna Kapetaneas

Clothing that’s conventionally worn in the summer isn’t limited to the season. As much as clothing brands capitalized off of seasonal marketing, it’s far cheaper and sustainable to work with what you have. Fashion is meant to be fun and creative. It’s fun to play around with different items and push the boundaries of what they were meant to be.

Lenna Kapetaneas is an English and Professional Writing major at York University with dreams of becoming a journalist. She began writing as a child and it is something that has stuck with her. She has a passion for fashion, beauty, lifestyle, mental health and faith that she loves to write about. In her writing, her goal is to relate and connect with the women reading.