This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Are you trying to find useful travel planning advice? With a plethora of information out there, it can be hard to figure out where to start.

I usually find myself spending endless hours researching everything a city has to offer before choosing places to visit. TI’ve travelled around the United States quite a bit, but in these large cities, an itinerary was essential. Despite my desire to allow more time for spontaneity on my travels, I am unquestionably an itinerary-based traveller. I’ve discovered that making the effort to plan a vacation in advance can significantly alter its course. 

Even though plans don’t always work out, itineraries can put you in a successful position! It’s especially ideal for people who wish to have a comprehensive list of activities, restaurants, and other items already arranged in a thoughtful and strategic manner. The goal is to complete all the research in advance so you don’t have to spend hours or days browsing the internet in order to organize the ideal vacation. To help you plan your next adventure, here’s my step-by-step guide!

• Step 1: Choose Your Destination
  • Step 2: Make a Travel Budget (always a must… set a price range so you know how to go about planning)
  • Step 3: Track and Book Flights (if needed)
  • Step 4: Book Your Accommodations
  • Step 5: Book Your Transportation (or plan ahead if you know people in the place your staying)
  • Step 6: Research, Research, Research
  • Step 7: Google Maps (try to make a mental note of where things generally are)
  • Step 8: Make Your Itinerary (see guide below)
  • Step 9: Book any Tours, Activities, and Reservations
  • Step 10: Look at the Timing of Each Activity/Time Spent Touring Each Place
  • Step 11: Prepare and Pack for Your Trip
  • Step 12: Have Fun! 

Creating a vacation budget is the next thing to do after deciding where to go. Make an effort to budget for every item associated with the trip, including travel, hotel, dog sitting, rental car, food, entertainment, and gas. This helps determine whether you can actually afford the destination you wish to visit, and gives us an idea of how much you will spend. Additionally, it controls spending when actually travelling! It’s also good to put aside some money for emergencies.

If you’re not sure, social media is definitely something to think about because, in my opinion, it’s the most transparent approach to learn the truth about your travel goals. When we plan to visit a destination, we can check Instagram posts and stories for live updates (like if there are many people there) and to find interesting, unique places to take pictures. Instagram has allowed us to see so many amazing sites throughout the globe! The app’s growth has both positive and negative effects; while some locations are becoming Instagram famous and are undoubtedly being visited excessively and/or disrespectfully, it also highlights the beauty of some lesser-known locations.

Find out from friends or family who reside in or have visited the place you are going whether they can recommend any must-see locations! These suggestions are frequently the greatest, particularly if you are aware of and confident in the person’s taste. However, Google Maps was a huge help to me. Click on the place you are staying at, try zooming out a little, and explore the area. Once you find a location that appeals to you, click on its reviews and planning gets much easier. 

After conducting some research, if you discover that a restaurant needs reservations, schedule a phone reminder to call them and book a table one or two months in advance. When travelling, the last thing you want to do is stand in line at a restaurant—especially if you’re starving and have limited time to see the sights. It’s crucial to comprehend the customs of any other nation or area, particularly if something that’s normal in your own nation is frowned upon elsewhere. Tipping is a crucial topic worth researching. In the United States, tipping is customary at 20%, while it might not be common in Europe. 

Last but not least, even if the entire planning process is enjoyable and exciting, make sure someone close to you is aware of your preparations in case of an unexpected event. To ensure that parents/guardians are prepared for their holiday, provide them the itinerary and travel details via email. Do you pack at the last minute, or do you plan ahead? Nowadays, we procrastinate when it comes to packing. Choosing what to pack for a trip and ensuring you don’t forget anything crucial can be challenging, regardless of when you pack! Make sure your passport is with you. 

And last but not least, have a blast! The world is your oyster.

My name is Lydia! I am university student studying Political science hoping to gain more insight and further a career in law. I currently play soccer and represent Toronto Fc unified roster team as well as partnering with Special Olympics Canada. I love reading, and my program particularly interests me from a writing perspective since I want to use this opportunity to obtain more experience. I intend to apply what I learn, along with the friendships and connections I make, to my future studies and other aspects of my life.