How I Survived My First Year Studying in a New Country

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

School. It’s something that a lot of young people dread. September marks the return of classes and, for many people starting university or college, it can be as nerve-racking as it is exciting. What could possibly be more terrifying for an introvert like myself than starting university?

Starting university in a new country.

Source: Giphy 

Don’t get me wrong, I was thrilled to get my acceptance letter, but when orientation day came around, I was anxious about many things. It was a new environment that I was diving into with a new culture I was trying to adapt to. It was pretty different from where I grew up on the other side of the world.

I (mostly) grew up in the Philippines where it’s either warm or rainy (it’s a tropical country, so no fall and winter). There, we speak a different language – called Tagalog – and the school year starts in June. When I came to Canada, I was a little intimidated to face all of the differences.

So, how did I get through my first year?

There were many things I learned, but using my resources was especially beneficial in navigating my first year. Universities and colleges offer a lot of assistance to students, so don’t be afraid to utilize it (especially since it’s part of your tuition fee). Academic advising, essay writing and student accessibility were just a few of the services I made use of. A brief search through your school’s website will show you all of the different services you can utilize throughout the year.

Source: PXHere

The Student Accessibility Services is the one that I used the most in the past year. Moving countries can be as mentally exhausting as it is physically and it is extremely important to look after your mental health. I have personally struggled with depression and anxiety from a young age and I underestimated how moving would affect me. I spent several weeks neglecting these issues and it unfortunately resulted in panic attacks and emotional breakdowns, which affected everything from my schoolwork to my ability to function on a daily basis. Most – if not all – schools have a department that offers accessibility services such as academic accommodations, mentorship programs, and counselling. Having a support system and looking after your mental health is highly important during this time of transition. Counsellors and peer mentors are ready to help you during this challenging time and I encourage you to approach one and make use of their services.

Source: Pixabay

Most things were new and unfamiliar to me during my first year. To change that, I tried to go out and explore the area a little more during my free time. Whether it’s a quick stop at your local mall or a day out in the city, getting out is the fastest way to get familiar. The last thing you want to do is isolate yourself even further by staying in your room all the time (trust me, it’s depressing). Doing this regularly made me feel less like an outsider each time.

Source: Pixabay

Friendship was one of the things I was the most worried about before moving.  I didn’t have any friends when I came to Canada and now I’m happy to say that I’ve made a few. During the year, I missed my friends and family so much that a lot of the time I just wanted to give up and leave. It’s not always easy to meet people, but sometimes all it takes is a moment of courage. Join clubs, attend social events, or simply strike up a conversation with someone in your class. You might be surprised of what can come out of it.

The first few weeks were tough. At the time, I felt like I constantly had to keep up with everything. The pacing of the lectures, the language barrier, and the foreign surroundings were just a few of the things that I had to get used to. After many emotional sessions with my therapist, I realized that I had to take each moment as they came. This helped me process and adapt to things a little more each day. Before you know it, your first year will be over. If I was able to make it through, I truly believe that you can too.

Dianne Victor is a Communication Studies student with a passionate flair for the creative arts. Currently in her third country of residence, she loves to explore the city and find new hidden gems.
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.