How to Deal with the Fact that Halloween is Officially Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Halloween is the best time of the year for anyone who loves to let loose and take on a character completely different than who they really are. You can be anything you want to be and there is chocolate, need I say more? Halloween gives you an excuse to go off your diet and binge on copious amounts of candy and alcohol. So, yes, Halloween is the best holiday. The only downside is, it only lasts a weekend. And let’s face it, Halloween has come and gone yet again. 

Cry

You have now come to the realization that you don’t get to be a slutty fairy, nurse, cop, bunny or whatever you chose to be this year for another 365 days. 

You’ve also realized that you can’t eat your Halloween candy forever and you have to go back to eating actual food. 

Right after the most fun holiday is the most boring month of the year, November. Horrible weather and nothing to look forward to but suffocating in heaps of school work and the realization that you procrastinated too much this term. 

And finally, you missed Screemers again and it is the best Halloween experience in Toronto, how dare you! 

Photo from Unsplash

Relive the Good Times

Go into your phone and look through all the snapchats that you saved of your Halloween highlights. Play “Thriller” by the king himself Michael Jackson. Put on your costume again and pretend for a while longer that you’re still at that house party and maybe that boy does want to kiss you this time instead of Becky. Or just look at your photos.

Throw an extra Halloween party. Everyone still has their costumes and no one wants it to end. Get your friends together so you can all say syonara to the best holiday of the year. 

Keep Halloween Alive a Little Longer

There are a couple of ways you can do this. The first is to just never stop wearing your perfectly well-thought out Halloween costume that took you months to plan. This option isn’t recommended because people may think you’re crazy; glitter gets annoying; and wearing a mermaid tail 24/7 is just ridiculous.

The best option for keeping Halloween alive is to binge watch your favorite Halloween movies and pretend that it’s still Halloween. If you’re not a horror movie buff, don’t worry. I’ve got you covered. 

Here is my list of must watch horror movies:

Cabin in the Woods (2011)

This movie is just to ease you into it. Because of its sarcasm and blatant mockery of cheesy horror films, it really is worth a watch. To your one friend who is too scared to watch horror movies, this one is for you. 

MGM, United Artists, Mutant Enemy Productions

The Ring (2002)

This is one of those movies that we all watched too young. I was 10 and after I watched it I had to sleep with the light on for an entire year. After that trauma, I can watch it now and appreciate it for what it is: terrifying and perfect for Halloween. Tip: don’t watch a tape that you find in a creepy motel. 

DreamWorks Studios, BenderSpink

The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

This movie is cringe-worthy in every way possible. The Hills Have Eyes definitely takes this list to the next level in terms of disturbing content: hungry mutant people, violence, gore, torture – it pretty much has everything.

Tip: Don’t try to eat while watching this one because it just won’t happen for you.

Fox Searchlight Pictures, Rat Pac Dune Entertainment

Evil Dead (2013)

This one has a special place in my heart because it gave me hope that movies today can still be scary. If you’re tired of watching “scary” movies where you have to wait an hour just to watch a door move then this movie won’t disappoint. It starts off scary and it just gets more intense from there.

New Line Cinema, Renaissance Pictures

Get Out (2017)

I saved the best for last in terms of sheer brilliance. This movie was methodically put together to highlight middle class racism today. With so many twists and turns you will definitely be on the edge of your seat. 

Blumhouse Productions, QC Entertainment, MonkeyPaw Productions

BONUS MOVIE (to ease you into the next tip):

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

It’s only one of the best Halloween/Christmas movies ever made.

Walt Disney, Touchstone Pictures

Jump on the Early Christmas Bandwagon

To forget about your Halloween woes, just steer all your attention to Christmas. The stores are already stocking the shelves with Christmas decorations and you know it is only a matter of time before Christmas music is being played everywhere you go. 

So instead of complaining about it, embrace it. Do all your Christmas shopping early; get all your Christmas decorations. You will forget about Halloween because you’re just too busy singing Christmas carols amongst the new Christmas tree ornaments you just purchased. 

Drink hot chocolate and make Christmas cookies for you and your loved ones this year and if you run out of gift ideas, Her Campus will have you covered. So, keep your eyes peeled. 

Photo’s from Unsplash

A perpetually lost writer who is just trying to make sense of it all. Never ask me for directions. 
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.