This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Spring is almost here, which means that it’s time to spring clean the heck out of your life. Cleaning out and organizing your closet is an important part of the spring cleaning ritual. It’ll also help you free up some space for new clothes for the summer season. Here are some tips to get you started on your closet cleaning.

Lay Out Your Clothes

Via Leighann Renee from Unsplash

This first step is important because you have to be able to see what you’re working with. So, take all your clothes off their hangers or out of their drawers and lay them out on your bed. You can lay them out by category (tops, dresses, bottoms, accessories) or just put them all in one big pile.

Out With the Old

Via Alexandra Gorn from Unsplash

Once you’ve got all your clothes laying in front of you, start splitting them up into 3 piles; yes, no and maybe. Sort all of your ‘no’ clothes into boxes or bags to give them away to charity or to throw them out if they’re really torn up. Keep your ‘yes’ clothes on the bed; don’t start hanging anything up until you’ve gone through the tough ‘maybe’ category. For the ‘maybe’ category keep these tips in mind when you’re deciding to either keep an item or give it away:

1) when was the last time I wore this item? If it’s been more than a year or you don’t remember then it goes in the ‘no’ pile.

2) Is this item like another item(s) I own? If yes, then you don’t need it so it’s a no.

3) Does this item still fit and is it torn up?

4) Do I love this item and is it comfortable to wear? Remember to only keep the pieces you truly love and will keep wearing.

Organization is Key

Via Giphy

This is my favourite step! I love organizing my closet in a color-coded fashion by item. I hang my clothes in four categories: tops, skirts, dresses and rompers. Then, I organize each category by color in somewhat of a rainbow order (white, beige, red, pink, purple, blue, grey, black). To maximize space, I purchased some hangers that have four spaces to hang clothes so I’ll have four white tops on one of those. Also, invest in some fabric or plastic bins to put on the shelf above your hanger rod (if you have one); that way you can fill them with those PJ’s, undergarments, belts or anything else that you don’t need to hang up. Now your closet has been properly cleaned out and organized!

Hopefully once you’ve cleaned out and organized your closet it’ll be ready for some new pieces! Also, if you need more tips for closet cleanouts or figuring out what to buy, check out Erin Elizabeth on YouTube, she gives great tips!

Melissa is a fifth-year student in Communications and Psychology at Glendon College (York University). She enjoys reading, writing, going shopping and watching reality television shows with her friends. Her dream is to work in entertainment PR and to live in London, England.   
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.