Her Campus Profile: Tama Chowdhury

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

This week I am interviewing Tama, who is a first year Biomedical Science student her at York. She is one of our newest event team members and is a strong and ambitious girl from Bangladesh. We are so happy to have Tama on the team!

Name: Tama Chowdhury

Program/Year: Bachelor of Science- Biomedical Science First Year

Age: 18 years

Hometown: Chittagong, Bangladesh

How would you describe yourself in five words?

Hard-working, ambitious, fun-loving, social, and a good listener.

What made you choose your major and what do you like most about it?

I always dreamed about finding a cure for diseases that are not curable as of now. I liked studying biology in school and biomedical science is helping my goal of discovering something new and maybe make the world a little better.

Other than writing for Her Campus at York U and going to university, what do you like to do in your free time?

I like to watch movies and explore places. I also like being creative, painting and dancing. Oh, and of course, sleeping.

What is your favorite movie or book and why?

Riding Freedom, a novel by Pam Muñoz Ryan. It is a really interesting book about how a orphan girl in this male dominating world with particular stereotypes overcame every obstacle in her way and made her life count. It was so inspiring for me and I reread it a lot.

What do you miss most about your hometown?

I kind of miss everything, but more specifically the amazing food, the beautiful villages and the rivers.

What made you move to Toronto?

I wanted to be independent and make a career for myself. I wanted to go through hardship and learn from experiences. Even though I knew I would come across difficult situations, I want my parents to be proud of me.

Are you a Summer or a Winter person?

Definitely Summer.

What’s your favorite app?

Facebook.

Why did you join Her Campus at York U?

I feel Her Campus at York U is a great way to meet diverse women and it’s a great opportunity to reach out to people.

What was your favourite travel destination so far?

I honestly haven’t travelled that much, but I think it will be India.

What could you talk about for hours? What are you passionate about?

I can talk about my school life and all the funny incidents that I have had. Also, I am super passionate about food and getting to know different cultures traditions.

Interested in joining a group of cool girls like Tama? Click one of our links below to contact us. We are always looking to expand our community and this could mean YOU!

Email: york-u@hercampus.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hcyorku/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hcyorku/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/hcyorku/

All photos courtesy of Tama Chowdhury

English and professional writing student on exchange from Germany. In Berlin, as in my new home Toronto, I love to find cute cafés where I would sit all day, watch people, drink lots of hot chocolate and devour a book.
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.