Her Campus Profile: Miriam El-Abbassi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Miriam is one of our newest writers here at HCYU! Get to know her and why she joined HCYU.

Name: Miriam El-Abbassi

Age: 20

Zodiac Sign: Aries

Year and Major: 3rd year screenwriting

Favorite food: LASAGNA

Favorite movie genre: Psychological thriller

Miriam is one of our lovely writers in the Her Campus at York U chapter. Her passion for writing and outgoing personality makes her a great fit for the fast-paced and exciting environment in our community. Read on to find out more about her!

What are your hobbies?

I absolutely love to read, and I’d have to say that knitting takes up more of my free time than I’d like to admit. I also spend a lot of time cooking up weird or interesting recipes I find on Pinterest, and then subsequently forcing my family to eat them.    

What are three words your friends would use to describe you?

Funny, outspoken, sweet.

What is your favorite thing about York University?

I love how incredibly diverse the demographic of the campus is, and how even within my own friend group at York, I can happily say none of us are alike. We are all incredibly different from one another but that’s what keeps everything interesting. They get to expose me to different segments of the world I would have never gotten to see otherwise, and I get to do the same. It is a diversity I really never got to experience in high school, where everyone and everything was pretty much a homogeneous mess. York shocked me by allowing me to experience what it’s like to be in such an incredibly diverse space, and those encounters during my first year are what stuck with me the most.

If you could pick five people — real or character, dead or alive — to invite to a dinner party, who would you choose?

Frank Ocean, Damien Chazelle, R. H. Sin, SZA, Shane Dawson.

Why did you want to join Her Campus at York U?

Besides my love of, and passion for, writing, I felt like Her Campus would help to challenge me in developing my voice as a writer. When you’re tasked with writing an article each week, those become the many opportunities you now have to experiment and try new things, so I saw that as a chance for me to really achieve significant growth over the coming school year.  

What is one food that you cannot stand?

Raw onions, and unfortunately those things tend to pop up everywhere.

If you could safely and humanely have any animal in the world as a pet, what would it be?

A pygmy marmoset (or more colloquially known as the finger monkey) would probably be my dream pet to own. Not only are they insanely cute, they fit in the palm of your hand, which is ideal for when I’m going to be showing it off to all my friends.  

After a long day, what are some things you do to wind down?

Going on YouTube and just simply getting lost down a hole of conspiracy theory videos and makeup tutorials is probably one of the most effective ways that I’ve found to quickly and easily wind down after a long day.  

What do you hope to do after you graduate?

To make a comfortable living doing something I love, whatever that ends up being!

Are there any other interesting facts that you’d like people to know about you? Pictures are my favourite way to commemorate any significant (and instagrammable) memory. For example, I have an entire highlight reel on my Instagram solely dedicated to new and interesting places I’ve gone out to eat.

All pictures courtesy of Miriam El-Abbasi

Interested in joining a group of cool girls like Miriam? Click one of our links below to contact us. We are always looking to expand our community and this could mean YOU!

Email: york-u@hercampus.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hcyorku/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hcyorku/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/hcyorku/

Kiana is currently in her fourth year at York University studying Dance, Kinesiology and Education. She loves spoken word poetry and is passionate about topics like the LGBTQ+ community, animal rights, veganism, mental health and wellness, and the arts. After finishing her bachelor’s degrees, she hopes to become a teacher. You can follow her on Instagram at @queerkii
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.