nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Her Campus Profile: Matt Turner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Meet Matt, the recent Glendon graduate who is taking their degree and putting it to hard work in Barrie. Even while still in school, they were often seen volunteering with various community groups surrounding sexual health and harm reduction. Highlights of their illustrious time at Glendon include handing out condoms as “The Condom Fairy” and always being there for a chat. We had the chance to meet up with Matt, so let’s get to know them!

Year graduated: Spring 2017

Age: 28

Major: Études sur la sexualité

Hobbies: Reading, volunteering, curling, watching movies

Favourite quote: “Where your treasure is, there will be your heart also” -J.K Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

What is your position on harm reduction?

I work towards our county/city/agency goals, and provide education to support folks who use substances. I also work on the county opioid strategy and homelessness strategies. We provide judgement-free care for those who use injection drugs, and support those affected by HIV and Hepatitis C.

What’s the most misunderstood part of your job?

That I tell people to use substances, but really I’m supporting their use to make it safer and the choices they make.

How can the average person help?

Learn about harm reduction, and talk about it with your friends. Get trained on how to use naloxone, it takes 20 minutes to do! Volunteer at an overdose prevention site or at an agency that does frontline harm reduction, or donate money to those agencies.

If someone could walk away with one thing from this profile, what would it be?

That harm reduction is a need, and it does save lives.

Who is your role model?

Zoe Dodd. She’s an advocate for both harm reduction and for folks who use substances.

What three words would your friends use to describe you?

Funny, facetious, supportive.

From York University in Toronto to helping those in Barrie, Matt is a truly an inspirational person with a heart of gold, and makes unforgettable impacts wherever they go. We’d like to thank them for their time and for sharing such an important part of their job with us. If you’d like to know more about some of Matt’s work goals and how to party safer, please check out http://torontovibe.com/.

Kaitlin is a bilingual (French and English) writer originating from friendly Thunder Bay. They are in their seventh year at York University, where they study professional writing with an emphasis on journalism. They live with their partner of nine years and their cat, Tessa. They started writing with a passion and a poem that eventually won third in a contest 12 years ago, and started editing not too long after. When not at the keyboard, Kaitlin can be found reading, cooking, playing video games, or holding Tessa. Their favorite movies are scary and their favorite television genre is reality. Kaitlin's passions include copyediting, anything scary or spooky and adding to her collection of dolls, magnets and cups. Their favorite part of writing/editing is giving others a chance to share their story or achieve their dreams and offering insight on "the little things." Some of Kaitlin's favorite topics reflect on their personal life, including health/disabilities, fringe topics and social issues.
Sam is a Cinema & Media Studies student at York University. She is passionate about LGBTQ+ issues, mental health, and intersectional feminism. She loves dogs and grilled cheese and knows way too much about pop culture.