Her Campus Profile: Marissa Di Taranto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Introducing the one and only Marissa Di Taranto. Marissa is an incredibly hardworking, intelligent and outgoing gal and one of the newest members of the Her Campus YU Marketing and Publicity Team. Keep reading to learn all about all her!

Name: Marissa Di Taranto

Age: 20

Year & Program: Third Year, Environmental Studies and Concurrent Education and the CAP Certificate

HCYU Position: General Marketing and Publicity Team

Hometown: Richmond hill, Ontario

Nicknames: Moe, Maurice, Mars Bars

Marissa’s Faves

Food: Spanakopita

Drink: Chocolate Soy Milk

Movie: Winter’s Tale

Song: “Dancing Queen” by ABBA

Season: Autumn

Clothing Piece: Any pink crop top

Charitable Cause: MS Society of Canada

What is something you are passionate about?

I am passionate about the environment and education. My goal in life is to be able to merge both into my career. I believe that the future of education for generations to come should begin with a heavy environmental based curriculum.

What are some ways you involve yourself on campus?

I am very involved on campus! I am currently a work/study student and peer mentor for the Faculty of Environmental Studies here at York. I am also a member of the Italian club, Peace by Peace, Las Nubes Student Association  and an executive member of Delta Psi Delta sorority, Toronto Chapter. On top of those, I am very involved in the Founder’s College community, as well as within the Faculty of ENVS.

Where is your favourite place on campus?

My favourite place on campus is the balcony on the 8th Floor of the Ross Building. You get the best view from there and it actually makes York look so beautiful! It is also perfect for sunset photos.

Who is someone that inspires you?

Someone that inspires me is myself. I keep achieving bigger and better things, and I am always defying my expectations. I just don’t know how I do it!

What is something you wish you could have told your 16 year old self?

“Get out of your emo phase already.”

What is something you are looking forward to?

I am looking forward to the end of this school term! I can finally relax and open presents during this holiday season. Also eggnog lattes!

What do you love most about yourself?

I make the best of a bad situation and I am very adaptable. I am also a little wild, and not ashamed to be myself.

What qualities do you admire in other people?

Honesty, culture, currentness, humour. I enjoy surrounding myself with people that will help me grow and who I can learn from.

Where would you like to see yourself in five years?

In 5 years, I would like to see myself working in a high school teaching Environmental Science and helping to bring environmental education to all schools in Ontario.

What is something you wish more people knew about you?

I am very calm person, despite how it might seem.

Any final words or messages for the readers?

In the words of Queen Ari herself: thank u, next.

I hope this interview has allowed you to see the world through the eyes of such a vibrant young woman. I’m incredibly lucky to not only work with Marissa at Her Campus York U, but also call her my friend.  

Interested in joining an inspiring group of girls just like Marissa? Click one of our links below to contact us. We are always looking to expand our community and this could mean YOU!

Email: york-u@hercampus.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hcyorku/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hcyorku/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/hcyorku/

All photos are courtesy of Marissa Di Taranto

Just a highly caffeinated 22 year old still trying to figure it out
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.