Her Campus Profile: Lolade Adams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Meet Lolade, one of the fabulously talented writers at Her Campus York University. One of our newer writers, she has already made such an incredible impact with her articles and amazes everyone on a weekly basis. We had the chance to sit down with her, so let’s learn about Lolade!

Age: 22 years old. Turning 23 next month!

Major: Psychology

Hometown: Windsor, Ontario

Life motto: When you can’t find the sunshine, be the sunshine

What was your favourite subject in elementary school?

My favourite subject in elementary school was English. My teachers throughout grade school made my class read novels and do book reports on them. And that continued on through high school. Thankfully, that made me love novels.

Lolade’s baby picture

Which of your articles was your favourite to write?

My favourite article was my recent one, talking about how I deal with my anxiety. I love helping others, and writing that article made me feel like I am helping those who are dealing with anxiety.

If you could recommend a professor/course to students, what would it be and why?

There is no specific course I would recommend but I would recommend taking a class that discusses how our brain works. Learning about the brain encouraged me to go into psychology, specifically neuroscience and cognition. I think it’s fascinating reading about the different experiments that were conducted to distinguish how our brains differ.

Why did you get involved with Her Campus?

I wanted to be part of something special when I came to York. Before starting at York, I was extremely shy. I was not the type of student to join clubs in high school. But when I first learned about Her Campus, I knew being part of something like this will be special. I wanted to try something that I have never tried before. Being part of Her Campus has been very special so far and I am extremely grateful for this opportunity.

Lolade at her high school graduation

What’s your favourite part of being a York student?

I personally feel that York is very diverse. I’m from a small town and the schools that I went to weren’t as diverse as York is. I just love that I can meet different people from all over the world.

If you were stuck on an island, who would be the one person you’d bring?

I would have to choose between my mom and my best friend Jennifer. I don’t know what I would do without them.

Lolade and her family

If you could give one tip to aspiring writers, what would it be?

Don’t be afraid to write. I always thought about becoming a writer before joining Her Campus. As soon as I joined, I found so much joy in writing. I would also say to not be afraid to try something you’ve never done before. Trying something new can always bring you happiness.

If you had to fight off one moose-sized beaver or ten beaver-sized moose, what would you pick and would you win?

I would probably pick a moose-sized beaver. The moose-sized beaver would probably win, but it would be a good fight.

We are so thrilled to have such a talented writer on our team. With Lolade’s sunny personality and eye for interesting news, it’s always a good day when her article is released. We can’t wait to see what she does next!

If you or someone you know would like to join the Her Campus team, apply online to learn more about how you can get involved:  http://www.hercampus.com/school/york-u .

Kaitlin is a bilingual (French and English) writer originating from friendly Thunder Bay. They are in their seventh year at York University, where they study professional writing with an emphasis on journalism. They live with their partner of nine years and their cat, Tessa. They started writing with a passion and a poem that eventually won third in a contest 12 years ago, and started editing not too long after. When not at the keyboard, Kaitlin can be found reading, cooking, playing video games, or holding Tessa. Their favorite movies are scary and their favorite television genre is reality. Kaitlin's passions include copyediting, anything scary or spooky and adding to her collection of dolls, magnets and cups. Their favorite part of writing/editing is giving others a chance to share their story or achieve their dreams and offering insight on "the little things." Some of Kaitlin's favorite topics reflect on their personal life, including health/disabilities, fringe topics and social issues.
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.