This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Not to scare you, but exam season is coming, so to prevent the usual stress that’s almost a package deal with this time due to last-minute cramming, I’m here to spread serious wisdom on making these study sessions easier for us all. 

For many of us, we like to believe that we work best under pressure. While I’m unfamiliar with the scientific findings of this approach, I know that my good friend, procrastination, usually has some say in last-minute work or “under pressure work” for me. 

While my last-minute assignments are somehow satisfactory, when it comes to study sessions, last-minute doesn’t necessarily involve quality learning. If all of this sounds a bit relatable to you, we’re not really giving ourselves the best shot because the truth is, studying over long periods will always guarantee better results.

Photo via Unsplash

Without any research, if we think about it, we could simply give ourselves more time. But this is easier said than done because of our good friend. So what is this wisdom that could potentially help here? As you’ve read from the title, it’s turning our studying sessions into events! 

I think we’ll need this even more now because, while the exam season is coming and winter is here, the holiday season is also coming and this means too many activities that we don’t want to miss!

How will this work, you might wonder? Well for starters, your study session will now involve an element of fun; it will now become something you will look forward to. From what I’ve read in a book entitled, How to become a straight-A student by Cal Newport (yes, we can all laugh at the books I read), this is a great way to push our good friend away. 

Photo via Adeolu Eletu 

I’m sure there are several ways you can do this but a few of these that I’ve tried and thought of are: 

Studying at a coffee shop! A classic. Even if you haven’t thought of your reasoning in this way, I’m sure every student has done this. I think it’s the idea that I’m only here for a few hours and don’t have all the time in the world which pushes me to start. I also get self-conscious quite easily, so sitting alone drinking coffee is definitely more awkward than sitting alone, drinking coffee AND doing work. During this time, coffee shops all around may start preparing for the holiday season and being surrounded by the vibe while getting work done has to be the most rewarding few hours.

Photo by Yoal Desurmont 

Another way is by listening to your lecture recordings instead of music on a long drive. If you’re an audible learner, this might be a great strategy for you. There will be so many holiday markets in different cities all across Ontario. Why should we miss out on one season because of another? I can’t think of a better activity than a holiday market for a study break! Reviewing flashcards during your travels is yet another way. This also involves traveling but instead of lecture recordings, you’re taking this time to answer questions, maybe from your Quizlet flashcards — an amazing study tool by the way. Reviewing flashcards ANYWHERE works. Let’s say hypothetically, you’re having the worst time at your family’s party, you might be tempted to scroll through Instagram but I say, open up that Quizlet app and feel like the A+ student you are!

Photo by Brenda Godinez

A themed study session; since we’re in the holiday season, let’s use this as our example. With this suggestion, you’re preparing your space to feel like you’re at a holiday party where only you showed up. Peppermint candles, hot chocolate, fairy lights, healthy snacks (granola instead of Doritos), an ugly holiday sweater — the whole works. 

With all of these ideas, the aim is to make studying more appealing. However, this wouldn’t work very well unless it’s actually scheduled, and I’m speaking from experience. Trust me, when you’re a homebody, nothing is more unappealing than leaving your house in the cold to essentially study. Scheduling it and being very specific when you do, however, works. And I mean specific. The date. The time. The actual coffee shop you plan on going to. If you’re deciding on a location just before you plan on studying, the decision will often lead to you staying at home because there are too many coffee shops to choose from!

So there you have it: my apparent great wisdom on the subject of studying. I hope this works for you as it has been working for me, and let’s hope exam season doesn’t turn us into the Grinch.

Tea-drinker| Bathroom-singer| Guyanese| Psychology Major| Extra small person with extra-large dreams
Kaitlin is a bilingual (French and English) writer originating from friendly Thunder Bay. They are in their seventh year at York University, where they study professional writing with an emphasis on journalism. They live with their partner of nine years and their cat, Tessa. They started writing with a passion and a poem that eventually won third in a contest 12 years ago, and started editing not too long after. When not at the keyboard, Kaitlin can be found reading, cooking, playing video games, or holding Tessa. Their favorite movies are scary and their favorite television genre is reality. Kaitlin's passions include copyediting, anything scary or spooky and adding to her collection of dolls, magnets and cups. Their favorite part of writing/editing is giving others a chance to share their story or achieve their dreams and offering insight on "the little things." Some of Kaitlin's favorite topics reflect on their personal life, including health/disabilities, fringe topics and social issues.