element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Guide to Toronto’s Holiday Festivities 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Temperatures are dropping and the semester is ending, which can only mean one thing: the holidays are officially upon us! The holiday season is a great time to see what the city has to offer in the winter time. It’s also a great opportunity to take part in some holiday festivities, and even buy gifts from local artisans. In this article, I’ve compiled a list of some of the holiday fairs and markets to visit in Toronto this year.

Toronto Christmas Market

The annual Toronto Christmas Market is back once again to serve some holiday cheer! Walk around the scenic cobblestone streets of the Distillery District adorned with thousands of lights and a giant Christmas tree this season. Check out some unique items from the market vendors and artisans for gifts you won’t find at the shopping mall. When you’re hungry, feel free to try out some snacks from the stalls (such as the famed turkey leg and Belgian waffle) in addition to the Distillery’s resident restaurants. The Toronto Christmas Market is open Tuesdays to Sundays, with free admission on weekdays.

When? November 15 to December 23, 2018

For more information visit their website!

Holiday Fair In The Square

If you’re planning to shop at the Eaton Centre, take a few steps towards Nathan Phillips Square to check out this holiday fair. Artisans, gourmet snacks, rides and an ice bar are situated around the skating rink at the heart of the plaza. Santa is available for photos on the weekends and several local performers will be entertaining visitors on various dates. The best part: admission is free!

When? December 1 to 23, 2018

For more information visit their website here!  

In the heart of the city. ?Photo by @peter_in_to reposted by @dailyhivetoronto #HolidayFairTO

A post shared by Holiday Fair In The Square (@holidayfairto) on

Aurora Winter Festival

Visit Ontario Place this holiday season and be transported into the North Pole’s Village at the Aurora Winter Festival. Meet Santa and his elves at Santa’s Workshop, walk through the Main Street Market, and explore the light installations at the Mystical Worlds (where you might even see an Ice Queen and a Yeti). Classic amusement rides are also available, as well as a tube park and a frozen ice pond for skating. You can fill up your stomach at the Food Gardens, and sip on some mulled wine or hot chocolate at the heated entertainment tent while enjoying a show. Although new to the city, the Aurora Winter Festival is jam-packed with activities for everyone to enjoy.

When? November 29 to December 30, 2018

For more information visit their website here

Winter Flower Show

If you’re in the mood for a little bit of nature, drop in at the Allan Gardens or the Centennial Park Conservatory to see the annual Winter Flower Show. View thousands of different flowering plants displayed around the conservatory, a stark contrast to the bald plants and snow outside. For an even more special visit, come during the weekend for a candlelit flower show experience.

When? December 2, 2018 to January 9, 2019

For more information click here! 

Casa Loma: A Nutcracker Christmas at the Castle

Take a trip to Toronto’s very own majestic castle this holiday season as it’s transformed to a picturesque holiday venue. Enjoy performances from figure skaters Glisse On Ice, illusionist Professor Wick, and the Casa Loma Holiday Orchestra. Take a walk through Casa Loma’s gardens that have been decked out in holiday decor, perfect for taking a cute holiday photo. Casa Loma has also organized an outdoor holiday market, and a toy drop off location for the CP24 CHUM Christmas Wish Foundation.

When? December 1, 2018 to January 6, 2019

Happy Place

Want a holiday-free winter activity? The Happy Place may be perfect for you! The popular pop-up exhibit that you might have seen on Instagram (previous stops included Los Angeles and Chicago) has now made its way to Toronto. Enjoy interactive multi-sensory displays and installations such as a rubber ducky bathtub of fun and a double rainbow you can use to jump into a pot of happiness. If you don’t celebrate holidays (or just want a break from the holiday-related events), take a trip to the Harbourfront Centre and bask in the good vibes that Happy Place wants to share with its visitors.

When? November 1, 2018 to January 6, 2019

Take a break from all of your holiday shopping and brave the cold to experience Toronto’s best holiday events. These activities are sure to help you get into the festive spirit, if you aren’t already. Take your friends and family to create some new holiday memories this season!

Dianne Victor is a Communication Studies student with a passionate flair for the creative arts. Currently in her third country of residence, she loves to explore the city and find new hidden gems.
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.