Give a Little More During The Holidays by Supporting These Businesses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

This year was painful in many ways but I think we can all agree that it was also a year of learning and unlearning. One of the issues that caused quite a stir on the social media pages that I follow was regarding the inhumane working conditions endured by garment factory workers in Bangladesh. Although I am not Bangladeshi, this information stuck with me and I am now trying to be a conscious consumer.

While conscious shopping involves purchasing less non-essential items, I was pleasantly surprised to discover several thoughtful brands out there that makes me feel less guilty about my purchases. It was like a whole new world for me and I want to share this world with you in case you haven’t visited!

Since it’s also the holidays, and most of us are in the process of finding thoughtful gifts, I figured, this is an ideal time to reevaluate the businesses we support. Of course, businesses aren’t required to do more than just sell their product and we aren’t obligated to buy from places that do more than that but in the spirit of giving I wanted to share a list of businesses, most of which are in Canada, that do more. They prioritize one or more of the following: sustainability, fair trade, less waste and respect for animals. So purchasing items from businesses like these makes me happy about what I’ve received and where my money was spent. 

KASANDY 

I’m mentioning Kasandy first because it’s an entire store! Here, you’ll be able to find a variety of delightful gifts for everyone ranging from decor, to kitchen items to accessories – they have it all – and the items are either made from up-cycled, recycled or ethically sourced materials!

One of the best aspects of the store though is that it prioritizes fair trade by introducing the work of talented local artisans from Kenya and East Africa, among other places, to a larger marketplace. It provides the space for these artisans to create the things they love in a dignified environment while earning a decent income to support their families!

Shop Here

Shopcinscreations

This small business sells the cutest, handmade jewelry pieces that anyone who appreciates jewelry will adore! My personal favorite is her tassel earrings but there are so many designs to choose from. Although this business was launched during the pandemic, I am in awe of the owner, Cindy, and her commitment to giving back at this stage of her business. With every purchase, 5 non-perishable items are donated to food banks in the GTA. Considering Ontario’s high rate of food insecurity, this is a significant step. Therefore when you make a purchase from her, you’re not just receiving lovely pieces of jewelry, you’re also providing food to someone who will welcome a meal.

Shop Here

The Elephant in the Womb

This space primarily exists to educate and advocate for womb health. The founder, Victoria, accomplishes this in several ways. One of which involves selling various items such as apparel, homeware, and accessories. She then donates some of the money. For instance, if you purchase a cozy sweater from her clothing line for your friend who will love clothing that says “MY BODY MY CHOICE”, a box of menstrual products will be donated to Moon Time Sisters who supplies menstrual products to Indigenous communities in Northern Canada, where it can cost $30!  Some of the money from every purchase aids in advocating for womb health. I can think of many friends who will love her sweater and I have a feeling many of yours will too!

Shop Here

Wise 

If you’re like me, you find it difficult to shop for the men in your life. I can easily find items my sister needs or will appreciate but when it comes to my brother, it’s a nightmare! 

I’m exaggerating but you get the picture. It feels like products are disproportionately marketed to the female population and this is more glaring in the skincare industry.

My brother would often use my products whenever he has the urge to wash his face with anything more than just water so I’ve been considering skincare products for his gift. But since there are limited skincare products marketed to men, the chance of finding consciously made products seemed even more daunting. Although I know that I don’t need to buy products marketed to men for him, I found this great men’s care brand that specialises in grooming products and prioritises sustainability! They offer hair and body care products including clay and cream pomades. Their products are made from natural ingredients and they are cruelty free. Wise also acknowledges our waste issue and is making a genuine effort to contribute less to it by using less waste packaging. For some of their products, there is an option to refill the container! Overall this brand has wonderful gifts!

Shop Here

Bili Beauty

Although this small business isn’t Canadian, I wanted to mention it because there’s so much that I love about it. Firstly, look at that palate. I cannot be the only person who instantly fell in love. I swear it feels like an emotional connection and I don’t even wear makeup often. There are only 10 shades but they are such a perfect selection of colours! I’ve never owned an eyeshadow palette because honestly the choices to choose from are overwhelming but I had to get this one because their products are beautiful but more importantly, the materials are vegan, cruelty free and ethically sourced. They also donate a portion of their profits to organizations working to end child sex trafficking in various countries around the world. This brand celebrates India’s rich culture and they do so beautifully!

Shop Here

Cheekbone Beauty 

This is another wonderful cosmetic brand that I need to mention. The lipsticks are my favourite item from them. They are located in Canada and the products are all cruelty-free. The brand has a less-waste line influenced by the founder, Jenn’s Anishinaabe roots. She continues to honour the community – which is integral to Indigenous values – by donating generously to various organizations.

Shop Here

Awesome Socks Club 

Lastly, I’d like to suggest a gift for you (or anyone else in your life) for 2021 after this challenging year.

More specifically, I’m suggesting a gift that gives every month of the year. I am suggesting socks. Yes. Socks. A socks subscription. But they aren’t just any old pair of socks. They’re awesome socks! And we all need socks!

John Green, the writer of The Fault in Our Stars, and his brother Hank Green recently launched a socks subscription that you can sign up for, where you will receive a pair of comfy socks, designed by independent artists. 100% of the profit will be donated to organizations striving to decrease the maternal and child mortality rate in Sierra Leone.

This subscription will only last for 12 months and the last day to sign up is December 11th! Treat yourself in 2021 to some awesome socks!

Subscribe Here

Whew! We’ve made it through the end of the list!

I love the principle of each of these businesses, I love the items they have available and I hope that you’re able to find thoughtful gifts for the people you love at some of these businesses! 

Tea-drinker| Bathroom-singer| Guyanese| Psychology Major| Extra small person with extra-large dreams
Feimoon is in her fourth and final year as an undergraduate student at York University, majoring in Communication Studies. She is passionate about traveling, fashion, beauty, writing and spreading positivity. She is now an Alumni of Delta Psi Delta, and past President. Now she focuses on being a Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus York University chapter!