Get the Fall 2017 Fashion Trends on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Fall is one of the best seasons for fashion. From cozy sweaters to comfortable dresses, autumn fashion trends always find a way to reach everyone. Unfortunately, buying new clothes can put a dent in your bank account, which is why I decided to find a few reasonably priced pieces for each current fall trend. So, if you’re looking to buy fall clothes while sticking to your budget, this is the article for you.

Velvet

This trend has manifested in many different clothing items and accessories, so there’s definitely something for everyone. The soft feel of velvet and its slight sheen makes it the perfect material for fall. If you’re dreaming of skater velvet dresses or velvet t-shirt dresses, head over to Forever 21 and pick from a variety of colours ($20 – $25). If you’re looking for something tighter, go to H&M and pick up their fitted velvet dress ($17.99) in red or black. H&M also sells a cute velvet strappy top ($9.99) that would go great with your favourite pair of jeans. If you prefer to use this trend as an accessory, pick up Forever 21’s velvet handbag ($30.90) to complete your outfit.

Photo from Freephotos.cc, taken by Mohsin Shaikh

Florals

This fall, romantic florals will be making appearances in your favourite stores. These floral patterns will have darker colours which will give you a lovely fall vibe. For cute shoes, check out Call It Spring’s floral printed ankle boots ($79.99) or Aldo’s dark floral printed flats ($85). If full-on florals aren’t your style, you can always get Forever 21’s floral crossbody bag ($33.90), adding a little something extra to your outfit.

Photo from Stocksnap.io taken by Paul Dufour

Collars and Frills

Collars, frills and ruffles add a little bounce to your outfit so they’re always fun to wear. Get charming, frilly, collared blouses at H&M ($20 – $30) and pair them with some nice pants or a cute skirt to give your outfit that business casual look. You can also find cute ruffled tops at Forever 21 ($25 – $30) that resemble the expensive ones you’ll see at Aritzia.

Photo from Pixabay taken by polocanon7D

Check Print

Check print is one of the popular Instagram trends of Fall 2017. The key is to style your outfit around that one piece. For example, you could wear a nice white blouse with H&M’s check print skirt ($19.99) or Brandy Melville’s check print pants ($38 USD). You could also wear H&M’s grey check print jacket ($39.99) with a plain shirt and your favourite pair of jeans to complete the look.

Photo from Unsplash taken by Arthur Yao

Fake Fur

Fake fur has been a common fall trend for a few years now and this year is no exception. I find that the easiest way to incorporate this trend is with coats or jackets. Forever 21’s faux fur coats ($35 – $50) are stylish and will keep you warm when it gets a little chilly. H&M is selling short faux fur jackets in black or white ($49.99) amongst a few others in a higher price range. These coats and jackets are sure to keep you warm and on trend as we get closer to winter.

Photo from Burst taken by Matthew Henry

No matter what kind of style you have, you can always find cute and comfortable fall pieces to add to your wardrobe that don’t cost an insane amount of money! If you decided to buy any of the pieces I mentioned above, take a picture and tag us with #HCYUfall2017.

Melissa is a fifth-year student in Communications and Psychology at Glendon College (York University). She enjoys reading, writing, going shopping and watching reality television shows with her friends. Her dream is to work in entertainment PR and to live in London, England.   
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.