Career

FREE Services York Provides to Students that You Should Take Advantage of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

As university students throw a substantial amount of money towards their post-secondary institutions in the form of tuition and other fees, many of them feel as though there is not much to show for it regarding free services available to them. However, perhaps the fact is not that these services don’t exist, but rather you have no knowledge of them yet. In this article, I’ll shed some light on some of the perks of being a York University student through various free services they offer to us and should take advantage of! 

Free LinkedIn Learning Access 

LinkedIn Learning is a new service available to expand your knowledge and education in various fields including business, technology and interpersonal skills. Ranging from courses, videos and lectures, you can add these completed curriculums to your resume or LinkedIn profile. Although a membership to access LinkedIn Learning comes with a fee, York students are able to obtain these resources for free. This is especially helpful to students as they begin to enter the job market and are desperate to expand their resume and experience to look promising to potential employers. 

Microsoft Office Applications

One of the most important school-related products that students can access for free are the various Microsoft Office applications available to anyone studying at York. Ranging from Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, these applications help you easily form notes, presentations and other school-related tasks during your time at York. To access these applications, simply visit the Microsoft Office website and sign up using your student email.

Student Counselling 

Many students experience mental health issues that become especially difficult to manage when juggling academic careers as well as a lack of financial stability to access help. York offers student counselling services to help support these individuals with addressing and healing from their mental health struggles. Students can find relief through these easily accessible services due to its convenient location on campus as well as it being free of charge.

To further accommodate students to ensure comfortability through the use of these counselling services, York allows students to state their preferences in terms of matching with a counsellor who shares similar experiences or characteristics with them including gender, sexuality or race. 

Gym Membership 

Don’t let those big breaks between classes go to waste and take advantage of York’s gym available to all students! As a student, you have access to all equipment on Keele Campus, except for the weight room which can be accessed for a small fee of $15. The options are almost endless with numerous gym locations at York as well as access to their swimming pool. This is an exceptional alternative for students; considering the expensive fees for a regular gym membership at any other location. Become your best physical self at little to no expense through this perk! 

Bonus: Amazon Prime 

The perks offered to students go beyond the walls of York University. Most notably, the free six-month Amazon Prime subscription is an excellent service provided to post-secondary students that is not exclusive to York University. Not only does this include fast shipping and delivery of Amazon products, but also access to their media streaming services. 

Considering the long list of mandatory fees associated with being a university student, it’s important to save money wherever possible by taking advantage of free or discounted services offered by York for your benefit! Whether these services will help your academic career or benefit your personal life, who doesn’t like saving money? 

Megan Weise

York U '23

Through its many forms, writing has always been my outlet for expressing myself and my thoughts. Through my contributions to Her Campus at York U, I'm excited to share my passions and ideas with others!
Feimoon is in her fourth and final year as an undergraduate student at York University, majoring in Communication Studies. She is passionate about traveling, fashion, beauty, writing and spreading positivity. She is now an Alumni of Delta Psi Delta, and past President. Now she focuses on being a Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus York University chapter!