This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

When people think of Brazil, they tend to think of soccer, Carnaval, and The Girl From Ipanema. But not a lot of people know about the incredible movies made in Brazil, which deserve a lot more attention than they receive. So here are five movies you just need to watch!

1. City of God (Cidade de Deus)

Arguably the most internationally famous Brazilian movie, City of God follows Buscapé, a young man who recounts the multiple stories of people he knew from his time living in the slums. The movie is a sobering portrayal of how Brazil’s class and racial discrimination can lead to violence and drug abuse. If you like ensemble casts and overarching stories that connect with each other, this is the one for you.

2. Elite Squad (Tropa de Elite)

This 2007 film tells the story of a police captain working in one of the most dangerous regions of the country as he deals with his decaying mental health, balancing his work with personal life, and his approaching retirement. The protagonist is played by Wagner Moura, of Narcos fame, in one of his most iconic roles. The theme song “Tropa de Elite” by Tihuana is one of Brazil’s most famous songs. If you enjoy complex and morally grey characters, you should definitely check this one out.

3. The Way He Looks (Hoje Eu Quero Voltar Sozinho)

This coming of age story follows Leonardo, a blind teenager, as he tries to establish his autonomy to his overprotective family, while falling in love with the newest student in his class, who just happens to be a boy. This is a moving portrayal of queer love stories, focusing on the intersectionality of different identities. As an endlessly positive movie, it is the perfect choice after a hard day.

4. bACURAU

After gathering to attend the funeral of the matriarch of their small city, the people of Bacurau discover that their city has been removed from maps. While trying to get to the bottom of the situation, they begin to notice even more strange occurrences. Filled with mystery, action, and social criticisms, this is a great pick to get both heart and brain working overtime.

5. A Dog’s Will (O Auto da Compadecida)

This is the story of two con artists who, after dying, have to explain to the higher powers why they deserve to enter heaven, despite their numerous mistakes. Incredibly original and endlessly hilarious, this comedy is one of the best Brazil has to offer and those who have watched it agree, as it is the 4th best ranked film of all time on Letterboxd.

I'm a first year international student from Brazil majoring in Psychology! I'm a major movie buff and I love learning new languages.