This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Summer is usually the time when everyone goes out and enjoys the sun but don’t let the cooler weather stop you from doing the same. Fall is a great season to explore the outdoors and witness all of the fall colors come to life. There exists a wide range of fun fall activities for you to try out near Toronto. Read ahead to find out some of them. 

Visit A Pumpkin Patch

Still looking to get the perfect pumpkin to care for Halloween or to make pumpkin pie? Make a fun trip out of it by visiting a pumpkin patch this season. Downey’s Farm is just a one hour drive from Toronto and you can enjoy a lot of other activities there such as racing around the speedway, navigating the corn maze, and visiting the winery onsite. If you’re looking for something a little closer to Toronto, Reesor’s Farm Market in Markham is also worth a visit.

See The Fall Colors

Fall is an amazing time to go out and explore the outdoors. Visit a nearby national park or conservation area for a quick hike or to see some amazing scenery. Dundas Peak is especially popular this time of year if you’d like to soak in the lovely fall foliage and waterfalls, just an hour away from Toronto. Glen Stewart Park and Scarborough Bluffs are also great places to visit if you’d like to stay near the city.

See Some Wildlife

Looking to see more animals than the daily squirrel? National parks and conservation areas have a plethora of wildlife within it such as chipmunks and deers. If you’re willing to drive out a little further, you can go visit some furry friends at an alpaca farm such as Twistlane Alpacas. You can also stop by Étienne Brûlé Park by Old Mill station in Toronto where you can see salmon jump and swim upstream as they migrate to their spawning grounds.

Get Spooked

Halloween is coming up and it’s the perfect time to both get your scare on and get scared. There are tons of Halloween related activities in the Greater Toronto Area such as Screemers, Legends of Horror at Casa Loma and Halloween Haunt at Canada’s Wonderland. If you like the idea of Halloween but aren’t one for the jumpscares, you don’t have to skip out on the festivities. Evergreen Brickworks is hosting its annual Día de Muertos (Day of the Dead) celebration on October 27 where you can learn and experience Latin American culture through live music, food and a variety of other activities, all for free. The Ontario Science Centre is also hosting a Monster Dash run if you’d like to get scared while getting in some cardio!

Go Fruit Picking

If you’re not a fan of pumpkin, try picking some of the best fruits that the season has to offer. Visit an orchard such as the famed Chudleigh’s or Carl Laidlaw Orchards, and pick some fresh apples. A further two-hour drive north of Toronto will bring you to Johnston’s Cranberry Farm in Bala where you can take a plunge in a pool of cranberry.

There are many more activities for you to explore this fall. Take advantage of the season by going out and exploring the vibrant colors and unique experiences that the season has to offer.

Dianne Victor is a Communication Studies student with a passionate flair for the creative arts. Currently in her third country of residence, she loves to explore the city and find new hidden gems.
Averie Severs is one of the Her Campus CC's for the York U chapter. She is a film production major with a focus in documentary filmmaking.