jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

“I can’t wait to get home to hide in my room, drown myself in music, and run away from my emotions.”

As much as some of us may wish, running away from your emotions does not help you lose weight.

I don’t pretend to know or understand everyone, but I can tell you personally, I am grateful to feel. I’m grateful to have someone that makes saying goodbye hard. I’m pleased to feel sad because it means I have something that matters to me. I’m willing to occasionally feel lonely for the sake of reminding me that the world doesn’t revolve around me. I’m content to fear, on the account that it grounds me in the knowledge that I’m not invincible. I’m accepting of rejection, for it calls attention to the fact that the world is only logical to every individual’s perspective.

It’s what makes me human. It’s what makes us human. We each have our own perspective, opinion, and understanding of the world, born from the collective experience in our life. Some may argue that living without negative emotions would be a better place – but do you really know positivity without negativity? What does ‘light’ mean to those who do not understand the ‘dark’?

I believe that it is always the right time and place for emotions, because they are all equally a part of me. Every interaction, relationship, event, and memory I have of my past made me who I am. There’s nothing I can do to change the past – certainly, while I firmly believe understanding your past is the key to your present identity, it isn’t worth dwelling on. There will be things we come to regret, and the “what-ifs” that never happened, but the choices my past selves made in the past moulded me into the person I am now. They are all Me – as is the Me that wakes up too late to get to class on time, and the Me that says something that hurts a friend, as well as the Me who scores a perfect on a test.

I am happy to have experienced what I have in my life, both the ups and downs, to reach the point where I am now. I’d rather get a grasp of my own thoughts and emotions than run away from it and pretend it never happened – leaving a decade old scar hidden in the abyss to come haunt me at a later point in life. It is just as essential to understand yourself, the way you think, and the things that make you feel uncomfortable, as it is to watch the latest show, or finish the research paper worth 80% of your grade. The next time you afford yourself a break, consider spending it differently.

It’s time to stop running. Time doesn’t heal everything. It’s what you do to process and understand what happened, and why you experienced the emotions that you did, that ultimately does.

Image Source:

IMG1: https://pixabay.com/en/sunset-sunrise-ocean-person-690756/

I want to delete this.
Hey! I'm Stephanie Wilcox, and I am a professional writing major here at York U! I spend most of my time playing piano or ukulele and crying over books and boybands. I'm currently studying Korean as an elective, and I hope to do plenty of travelling after I graduate. I believe in fighting for a better, safer, and more equal future, especially through words and writing. This is my third year at York University, and I am thrilled to begin writing with Her Campus this year as a CC and seeing the impact we will be making here!