This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Why did you leave me, dear friend? 

I miss the way your gaze would interlock with mine 

I miss your quirky laugh and the way you would stumble over your own two feet 

I miss the way you would softly caress my cheek and hold my chin lightly in your palm

I miss the way you’d pretend to have errands to run as an excuse to come visit me 

I miss our playful banter and even the silent moments we shared.

You see,

I never opened myself up in this way

You stole my first “yes” and carelessly tossed it to the side

Left as nothing but a soulless word hanging from the tip of my tongue. 

Perhaps “we” never even mattered

Perhaps you never really cared.

a woman sits on the edge of a deck overlooking the forest
Chris Ainsworth | Unsplash

I thought our petals could blossom in unison. 

Complimentary colours basking beneath the golden sun

But we never made it to spring.

Like the wind, you slipped right through my fingertips

Without even saying goodbye

I wish I could have shown you my heart

I wish you could have shown me yours

I lay awake each night wondering if any of it was even real 

Nothing remains

Except for the silence that lingers between us

The burden of unfulfilled potential.

Hero image appropriate for article on Unhealthy Relatioships - image of a question mark
Photo by Emily Morter on Unsplash

Why did you hurt me, dear friend? 

Why did you take the knife and slice my chest open while I lie asleep? 

Why didn’t you choose the poison? 

Why didn’t you choose the pill?

It could have all been seamless that way

Instead, all I am left with is the echo of our laughter in that empty parking lot 

Nothing but that coffee-stained brick that holds the ghost of a distant memory 

A bare chin and cheeks that no longer blush.

The colorless leaves of the forest’s frail trees begin to immerse with the radiance of its summer spirit

A state of transition

Where confusion reigns.

white flower
Aaron Burden

Why did you leave me, dear friend? 

My heart lay in pieces

And despite my best intention to put it back together, its contents remain lost in my sea of tears.

Kaitlin is a bilingual (French and English) writer originating from friendly Thunder Bay. They are in their seventh year at York University, where they study professional writing with an emphasis on journalism. They live with their partner of nine years and their cat, Tessa. They started writing with a passion and a poem that eventually won third in a contest 12 years ago, and started editing not too long after. When not at the keyboard, Kaitlin can be found reading, cooking, playing video games, or holding Tessa. Their favorite movies are scary and their favorite television genre is reality. Kaitlin's passions include copyediting, anything scary or spooky and adding to her collection of dolls, magnets and cups. Their favorite part of writing/editing is giving others a chance to share their story or achieve their dreams and offering insight on "the little things." Some of Kaitlin's favorite topics reflect on their personal life, including health/disabilities, fringe topics and social issues.