Coming Soon: Holiday Movie Releases 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

The holidays are coming up and it’s a busy season for the film industry. So many great movies being released before the year ends. In this article, I’ve rounded up some of the most buzzed about films from critics and fans alike!

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Jump back into the wizarding world with the second installment of the Fantastic Beasts franchise. Fans of J.K. Rowling’s creation will see protagonist Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) and friends help Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law) fight to defeat dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Johnny Depp). Enjoy a world of magic and new creatures in this prequel to the Harry Potter series.

Release date: November 16, 2018

Photo via IMDb

Widows

Recently-widowed Veronica (Viola Davis) is threatened by a crime boss after her husband (Liam Neeson) and his partners are killed in a robbery job gone wrong. With the help of the wives of her husband’s partners Linda (Michelle Rodriguez) and Alice (Elizabeth Debicki), Widows will follow the women as they uncover the truth about their marriages and attempt the biggest heist of their lives.

Release Date: November 16, 2018

Photo via IMDb

Ralph Breaks the Internet

Fans of the first Wreck-It Ralph movie can enjoy this fun-filled sequel. Join Wreck-It Ralph (John C. Reilly) and Vanellope von Schweetz (Sarah Silverman) as they enter the Internet in a quest to save their home. Ralph Breaks the Internet will treat viewers to multiple pop culture references in addition to seeing some of their favorite characters (including some Marvel heroes and Disney princesses).

Release Date: November 21, 2018

Photo via IMDb

Creed II

Creed II shows Adonis Creed’s (Michael B. Jordan) journey as he seeks to avenge his father’s death by defeating Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren) and his son in the boxing ring. With training from the famed Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone), Adonis fights for his family’s honor in this sports drama film.

Release Date: November 21, 2018

Photo via IMDb

Mary Poppins Returns

Fifty-four years from the original Mary Poppins movie, Mary Poppins (Emily Blunt) comes back to visit the now-grown up Michael Banks (Ben Wishaw) and his children. Accompanied by a street lamplighter Jack (Lin-Manuel Miranda) and her cousin Topsy (Meryl Streep), Mary Poppins returns to the lives of the Banks family to help them go through some difficult times in 1930s London.

Release Date: December 19, 2018

Photo via IMDb

Aquaman

Fans of superhero movies can look forward to DC Extended Universe’s Aquaman based on the comic book of the same name. The movie follows Arthur Curry/Aquaman (Jason Momoa), who learns that he is the heir to the underwater kingdom of Atlantis. In this superhero origin story, Arthur must step forward to lead his people against the tyranny of his brother Orm/Ocean Master (Patrick Wilson) who seeks to wage war and control the human world.

Release Date: December 21, 2018

Photo via IMDb

So far, 2018 was a great year for movies and clearly, there are more to come. Feel free to check out some of these movies in between all of your holiday shopping and eating. Happy viewing!

Dianne Victor is a Communication Studies student with a passionate flair for the creative arts. Currently in her third country of residence, she loves to explore the city and find new hidden gems.
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.