This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

We are now into April, and many of us are finishing up our last few assignments and exams. Quarantine has been pretty busy for me so far, but I know that once my courses are officially done, I’ll be left with so much spare time. I decided that I’d compile a reading list of all the books I want to read this quarantine. Due to Indigo being closed and staying home to flatten the curve, I decided I would re-read a bunch of my favorites. With no income in sight, I wanted to avoid purchasing books on Amazon. That being said, a bunch of audiobooks are free right now for quarantine, so if you don’t already own these books, you can look for them here, and read them for free.

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

The first book on my list is The Handmaid’s Tale, which is easily one of my favorite fiction books. I read this book in the summer of 2018, so it’s about time I crack it open again. Especially because the second book, The Testaments, came out in September, 2019 and I have yet to get my hands on it. I always like to re-read a book series before reading the latest book. If you have not read The Handmaid’s Tale, now is the perfect time to give it a try. It is a dystopian book that deals with the patriarchal society, women’s rights and resistance, and a world where fertility is in danger.

Difficult Women by Roxane Gay

The next book I want to re-read is Difficult Women by Roxane Gay. The book is a collection of short stories. I also read this book in the summer of 2018 and haven’t read it since so I thought I’d read it again. Last summer, I read all non-fiction books and memoirs, so it would be nice to incorporate more fiction back into my reading. This book goes really nicely with The Handmaid’s Tale because it has similar themes around feminism and resistance. I’d recommend anything by Roxane Gay for your quarantined reading list.

The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan

The Opposite of Loneliness is also a collection of short stories, but it has personal essays as well. This book was written by Marina Keegan, but composed and edited by Anne Fadiman, her teacher who published the book upon request from Keegan’s parents shortly after her death just after her university graduation. Marina Keegan was a really talented writer and it’s heartbreaking to know she never got to live long enough to start her career. Her short stories are by far the most engaging short stories I have ever read. Each one had me wanting more. Her essay that starts off the book is one that any graduate can relate to, and since I am supposed to graduate this year, it’s the perfect time to re-read her book.

Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman

The book is better than the movie. There’s something about reading sad romance books that just feels different than watching the movies. I feel all the emotions I’m supposed to even more when I read it in a book. I read this book back in 2017 when the movie came out, and I’ve been wanting to re-read it for so long. Now, I finally have the time. If you loved the movie, you’ll love the book too. Although it is more heartbreaking, there’s a lot from the book that was not in the movie, such as the original ending. If you enjoyed the movie, I recommend you read the book to get another perspective of the story that covers more time in their lives. I can’t give away too much, but read it! You’ll see.

The Opposite of Hate by Sally Kohn

I read this book last January. I had received the book for Christmas and was eager to read it right away. Then school hit and the work stopped my flow. I got just over half-way when I had to stop to focus on school. I unfortunately never went back to it. But then quarantine came along, and now I will finally pick up this book once again. I first heard about this book on a podcast that Sally Kohn spoke on. She is best known for her TED talk on emotional, rather than political, correctness. The book discusses our differences and how we handle hate and opposition. It’s a great personal essay about Sally Kohn’s confrontation with her own shameful moments and the hate we experience in our world.

What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding by Kristin Newman

I read this book last spring, and I already cannot wait to read it again. This memoir is about sitcom writer, Kristin Newman and her many travels throughout her 20s and 30s, and her inability to settle down like her many friends. This book really sparked the inner traveler in me. I read it during my Europe trip last May, and even then it had me itching to travel non-stop. Newman’s book was my favourite that I read last summer and I highly recommend it for anyone interested in travel, the film industry, writing careers and defying the norm of settling down.

This is just a small list of some of the books I hope to re-read this time in quarantine. It’s the perfect time to revisit old favorites and reignite the love I once had for them. If I burn through this list super fast maybe I’ll go back to my favorites from high school, such as The Mortal Instruments series and all the other supernatural young adult books I used to love. I hope you take the time to revisit some old favorites of your own and check out the books on my list to gain some new favorites as well. Happy reading!

Averie Severs is one of the Her Campus CC's for the York U chapter. She is a film production major with a focus in documentary filmmaking. 
Kaitlin is a bilingual (French and English) writer originating from friendly Thunder Bay. They are in their seventh year at York University, where they study professional writing with an emphasis on journalism. They live with their partner of nine years and their cat, Tessa. They started writing with a passion and a poem that eventually won third in a contest 12 years ago, and started editing not too long after. When not at the keyboard, Kaitlin can be found reading, cooking, playing video games, or holding Tessa. Their favorite movies are scary and their favorite television genre is reality. Kaitlin's passions include copyediting, anything scary or spooky and adding to her collection of dolls, magnets and cups. Their favorite part of writing/editing is giving others a chance to share their story or achieve their dreams and offering insight on "the little things." Some of Kaitlin's favorite topics reflect on their personal life, including health/disabilities, fringe topics and social issues.