This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Winter can be tough on the skin due to the cold and dry weather. Even if you drink a ton of water, your skin could still be dry or look dull due to the temperature. So, I compiled a list of my favourite hydrating skin care products and some of the best skin care products to help your skin during these chilly winter months.

Dry Skin

Since I have dry skin I paid attention to which of my favourite hydrating products helped my skin the most during winter. Right now, my go-to serum is the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Hydrating Serum ($45) because it feels so nice and cool on the skin and really helps get rid of any flakiness. To lock in the hydrating serum, I always use a moisturizer and recently I’ve been loving the FRESH Rose Deep Hydration Face Cream ($50). Two other products that help brighten and hydrate dry skin are the GlamGlow Waterburst Hydrated Glow Moisturizer ($62) and the LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask ($33). Also, two brands that I highly recommend to those with dry skin are Drunk Elephant and La Mer but they do tend to have very pricey items.

Combination Skin

For those with combination skin, I found that the Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Cream ($84) and The Ordinary’s Hyaluronic Acid 2% +B5 ($6.80) would work well to help target your skin’s problems. For further hydration during the night, you can pick one of the Sephora Collection Sleeping Masks ($5) to help with hydration, blemishes, brightening, toning or anti-aging.

Oily Skin

From my research, it was hard to find hydrating products that were also targeted towards those with oily skin. But, I did find two good moisturizers that are oil-free or targeted towards those with oily skin. The first being Clinique’s Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel ($35) which claims to maintain the ideal moisture balance for oily skin. The second is The Juice Beauty Oil Free Moisturizer ($38) which is a vegan product that will hydrate your skin and clear blemishes.

I also wanted to give a quick shout-out to the LANEIGE lip sleeping mask ($24) which any skin type can use. It will make your dry and chapped lips feel so moisturized and smooth. Hopefully, if you pick up any of these products it will significantly help your skin during the winter time.

Melissa is a fifth-year student in Communications and Psychology at Glendon College (York University). She enjoys reading, writing, going shopping and watching reality television shows with her friends. Her dream is to work in entertainment PR and to live in London, England.   
Sam is a Cinema & Media Studies student at York University. She is passionate about LGBTQ+ issues, mental health, and intersectional feminism. She loves dogs and grilled cheese and knows way too much about pop culture.