The Best British Reality TV Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

An interesting thing about Britain is that it has its own giant entertainment industry with its own celebrities; something most people might not know about unless you’re familiar with their shows. British reality TV shows are so outrageously funny that it’s hard to stop watching them. If you’re interested in dipping your toes into the Brits’ reality show pool, here are some of the best shows to get you started.

Love Island

Love Island has gotten very popular amongst the Brits since it first aired. In this reality dating show, girls and guys have to couple up when they enter the Villa. Whichever couple is still together by the end of the season wins. However, new contestants will enter the Villa throughout the season, causing certain couples to break-up and inevitably, a lot of drama. It’s a super entertaining show to watch and it’ll quickly become your favourite reality show. After all, what could possibly go wrong when mixing love and competition?

Photo via IMDb

I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here

Ever wondered what your favourite celebrities would be like if they were stranded in the jungle? Well, that’s exactly what happens on this show. A number of celebrities are shipped off to the jungle in Australia and they have to compete in different challenges to eventually become Queen/King of the Jungle. It’s very similar to Survivor but with celebrities (who may be used to a certain lifestyle).

Photo via IMDb

The Great British Bake-Off

If you like to watch cooking shows then this one’s for you. Ordinary British citizens who love to bake participate in this fun competition. From the baking failures to the funny presenters, this baking show is definitely one to watch.

Photo via IMDb

Geordie Shore

Alright, so this show is a bit of a mess but if you loved Jersey Shore, then you’re gonna love Geordie Shore. It’s crazier, more dramatic and messier than JS. I do have to say that the earlier seasons are way better (thanks to Vicky Pattison and Charlotte Crosby). If you’re interested, episodes are available to watch on MTV Canada.

Photo via IMDb

Big Brother/Celebrity Big Brother

Although Canada and the US have a version of Big Brother, they’re both completely different from the British version. First off, the Brits version of Big Brother and Celebrity Big Brother is more focused on the entertainment aspect rather than the competition. Not only do the British public vote on who leaves the house, the most dramatic and entertaining people (typically) always stay in. It’s safe to say that the British version is full of crazy personalities making it way more fun to watch!

Photo via IMDb

To watch the shows mentioned above, you can either stream them online, through MTV, or watch some clips on YouTube!  

Melissa is a fifth-year student in Communications and Psychology at Glendon College (York University). She enjoys reading, writing, going shopping and watching reality television shows with her friends. Her dream is to work in entertainment PR and to live in London, England.   
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.